I Don't Make Cakes Come Out Of Thin Air!

Decorating By ylescu Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 6:54am by Chippi

ylescu Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:48am
post #1 of 10

This is such a pet peeve of mine.

During a birthday party where I created the cake for the celebrant (the parents of the celebrant are friends of mine), I met one of their friends whose daughter will be celebrating her birthday the following week. She complimented my work on the cake I made and expressed a "desire" to order 1 for her daughter's birthday (I say "desire" because that's just it, it wasn't a concrete "yes I will be commissioning you for the cake" or a definitive "no") Her daughter, for the duration of the party, kept insisting to her mother and myself how she wanted a certain character for her cake, but since I wasn't getting any definitive "signs" or answers from her mother that she would be ordering a cake (no exchange of contact info even occurred to let me know she would be in touch), I didn't assume anything.

So I waited, but considering the time frame, I really wasn't expecting the order to push through; I just put it in the back of my mind.

And then, the mother sends me a text message asking me if I can make the cake for her daughter...problem is, she does this the day BEFORE her daughter's birthday! She says she doesn't need anything fancy, just a simple cake with the character on top.

Obviously I had to beg off, even if I could bang out a cake in that time frame, I didn't want to risk them comparing my work to the birthday cake I made for the party we attended (that was a grand birthday cake compared to the "simple" one she was asking for), inevitably shooting myself in the foot in the process (them saying "Oh...that's it?" when they get their cake), nor do I want to work in such a rush that it affects the finished product. Plus there hasn't even been talk of prices yet!

Moreover, I don't want word getting around that they can just spring cake orders on me, I mean, people, I don't just burp and a cake comes out ! icon_eek.gif

Anyhoo, it just baffles me that some people think we can just make cakes out of thin air! If they wanted a cake right then and there then go to Walmart or something. We take more time, effort and skill to create the cakes we do.

9 replies
tesso Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 10

Moreover, I don't want word getting around that they can just spring cake orders on me, I mean, people, I don't just burp and a cake comes out ! icon_eek.gif

that is too funny.. you made me choke on my water.

I think people are so used to getting things quickly and cheaply at chain stores that they dont really realize that geez..this person is actually making my cake.. it is not coming off an assembly line...

Renaejrk Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #3 of 10

Yes, that attitude totally annoys me! I'm glad you didn't take the "order" if you can call it that!

jonahsmom Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:42am
post #4 of 10

That happened to me the night before surgery in December. 8:00 pm I get a text - can you make my anniversary cake? Me...maybe, when? Her...tomorrow. Me....ummm, no!

noahsmummy Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:47am
post #5 of 10

im not a business, but i make cakes for friends and stuff, just get them to pay for ingredients. anyway, same thing happened to me the other week, one of the girls mentioned she wanted me to do a cake for friend weeks and weeks ago. again, nothing definative, didnt give me a date or anything! anyway, so last week we were all talking and she goes, so can you make my friends cake? its her birthday on saturday (this was a thursday). haha and this was during a disscussion of how busy i was making my sisters bday cake which was due on sat also! some people....

CakesGoneSweet Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:50am
post #6 of 10

I feel your pain. I received a call today for 150 cupcakes for a "small office get together" for THURSDAY!! Today is TUESDAY! If I was a full scale bakery maybe but I work out of a rented kitchen so that doesn't fly! I can't pull cupcakes out of my behind any better than you can pull cakes out of thing air lol

margaretb Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:13am
post #7 of 10

My cousin's husband called me at 7 pm on a Friday night and asked, "How long does it take to make a wedding cake?" So I said it was something like an hour per layer to bake it and that the fastest cake I have ever decorated I did in 4 hours, but that wasn't a wedding cake. Then he asked how much I charge. I said I don't charge, I can't. Well what about under the table. Nope, the fines are in the thousands so I don't charge. Who's cake anyway, I asked, and when did you need it. It was for his brother's wedding at 3 pm THE NEXT DAY!!! I said even if you went to the store and brought me the ingredients right now and took my kids with you and I worked non-stop through the night, it would not be possible under the laws of physics. Good grief!

indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:18am
post #8 of 10

Them: I need a cake for 50 for tomorrow.
Me: I'm not a grocery store where I have frozen slabs of cake sitting around just in case someone maybe MIGHT order a cake at the last minute. If you need a last minute cake, you should call (local grocery store) ... they're very good at helping out the last minute folks.

CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:28am
post #9 of 10

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, Friend asked me to make a cake for his son.....Quoted him a price and everything...3 days before the party, he says..."I may have to change the date, I will let you know"... he moved the party back 1 day, but never told me, so I never Baked or even started on the cake...Told him to go to Walmart or Kroger! I am a FT student and trying to start a new business.

Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:54am
post #10 of 10

Be nice if we could burp and a cake came out!!! lol Too funny!!!

People are unreal. Last week I applied for a job, interviewed, took tests, chatted with the main women, well........she told me to call her back in 3-5 days so i call her back and she says.......Oh, aren't you the one who makes cakes? I started to answer and she says, can you do one for my son, he likes transformers! Well, (after thinking hard and fast, I normally only do family cakes but this could be my future boss) I said when do you need it? It was Thursday evening, my daughter just entered hospital in labor, and she needed the cake for Sat. morning. I was like (ahhhhhh under my breath) no I really don't have the time. She then told me she would check into my application and call me back, needless to say I didn't get a call back!!! I should have went to walmart grabbed a cake and had them throw a transformer on it and wallaaa I might have gotten the job!!!! Muhahaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%