Guidance For The Novice Decorator! Help! How Much To Charge?

Decorating By Jessi83 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm by bettycracker1972

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #31 of 47

Because Cara, it opens a huge can of worms. Friends mean well. Mine have done the same thing to me. They don't realize that I have to have my kitchen inspected and be licensed to be able to sell cakes. They just think that "oh, you're cakes are great, you should sell them!" and then someone at that party sees the cake and wants one just like it and it snowballs. Once you start playing "pretend business" with friends and family, friends of friends start calling you and you think, wow, this is cool... I'm making money... but you're doing it illegally.

Eventually, there are consequences to doing things we shouldn't do. I speak from experience. I started making things for friends and family and they did just like I described. So I started getting emails, "oh this friend of mine loved your cake and wants, blah, blah, blah...." It's hard to say no especially when your family needs the money to pay the rent. I'd rather stop while I'm ahead and not have to pay those consequences, I've had enough of those for a lifetime.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

I'd rather stop while I'm ahead and not have to pay those consequences, I've had enough of those for a lifetime.

Never a truer thing said. Heed this people, in cake, and all of life!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

I agree, not worth getting fined for making a cake. It would probably turn your hobby that you love, into something you resent. I understand the expense of making cakes, not just the cost of ingredients, but your time as well. Now, I have a question for those who know. IF you make a cake for your friend as a gift, and a week later, she takes you out to dinner as a thank you, is that the same as selling cakes? I am just curious. I too have been approached to do cakes, but have no interest in skirting the law, not only for my financial safety, but because I am not a fan of breaking the law. However, I have not done them because they are expensive and I do not have a lot of money to just be giving cakes away. I keep the free cakes to my family and close friends birthdays, holidays, and the like. I decorate for the enjoyment it brings me, but like I said, money is beyond tight and the ingredients are not cheap. So, is it ok if your friend treats you to something, sometime after the fact?

Every state is different, and even within one state there can be extreme differences. All I know is about where I live. You can sell to friends and family if you are unlicensed, but that is it. Some areas in Texas you can't even GIVE a cake for free to anyone if it is going to served to the general public (ie: a bake sale fundraiser or a donation to the an organizations banquet and such). But as far as your question about bartering a meal for a cake trade, I don't see why not. No true money is changing hands so go for it! Honestly, if it is between friends generally you won't have an issue. But what tends to happen is what one poster already mentioned. All those friends of that friend then want to order a cake from you then their friends and it just keeps trickling along until before you know it you are running a business AND the wrong friend of a friend is an HD agent and bam, you are in a world of mess you really don't want.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #34 of 47

LOL! Kiwi! Well, I would prefer to keep it to dinner, or treating to a movie and popcorn!

Yeah, I have a strict, if you are not an immiediate family member, (Dad, stepmom, sisters, nephew, my kids and hub) or a bestie (only 2 of those) then no cakie for you! But I think if my friend turned around a month after I made the cake and said, well that cake cost a lot for you to make and a lot of time, how bout I treat to concert tickets, I am not going to say no. I don't see that as business. I see that as being friends and being nice.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm
post #35 of 47

[quote="Caralovescake"]If it is a close friend why can't they just give you money? It is not like they will turn you in to the cake police. I think you would only not sell to people you don't know.[/quote]

Here's why that may not work. You don't know who else, besides your friend will be at the party/dinner/event where the cake will be served.

You want to know how I got caught without the proper license? (I had a license but not the correct one for selling cakes.)

Cake is being served, and if i remember correctly it was a carrot cake. Guy asks, "mmmmm who made the cake?" Answer was my name.

Unfortunately the guy who asked was also a health inspector in real life.

I got a call the next day.

And this is why I will ALWAYS and FOREVER warn each and every poster that selling cakes without a license is risky business.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Not meaning to hijack your thread Jessi BUT

OccasionalTiers - seems like you are the passive-aggressive one, leaving nasty comments on people's photos under a different username. Did you know that CC sends an email everytime someone sends a comment on a photo to the photo owner? Funny the user name listed in the email was first OccasionalTiers, then it was LaPetiteFour on the second one, but when I go to look at the comments they say TrailCake as the user. Odd all these user names were created today, and NONE have photos associated with them. And your name is Kate. Are you the same person we use to know as K8? K8 got banned if I remember correctly because she was so confrontational and extremely passive-aggressive.

Those posts don't sound like K8. Not a KWIM in sight icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Quote:

OccasionalTiers - seems like you are the passive-aggressive one, leaving nasty comments on people's photos under a different username. Did you know that CC sends an email everytime someone sends a comment on a photo to the photo owner? Funny the user name listed in the email was first OccasionalTiers, then it was LaPetiteFour on the second one, but when I go to look at the comments they say TrailCake as the user. Odd all these user names were created today, and NONE have photos associated with them. And your name is Kate. Are you the same person we use to know as K8? K8 got banned if I remember correctly because she was so confrontational and extremely passive-aggressive.

OMG- How juvenile. That's just worng. You don't have to agree with people all the time, but don't be disrespectful of their work.

So sorry cakesdivine. icon_mad.gif

No need for you to apologize Rosie, you didn't do it...LOL!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #38 of 47

exactly Leah, I've been terrified that the wrong person would be at an event where I've made the cake, and my well meaning friends give them my name. I don't think any of my friends actually know anyone who works for any organization that would "bust" me, but because I feel guilty about it, it's enough for me to want to stop- unless it's my gift or they've brought me the ingredients and I've accepted no money. I barter with the girl who does my kids photography and we have a separate arrangement as well that isn't for cake, but I wouldn't do that with anyone else.

I know of two other bakers in my area who are selling illegally and they advertise, I've never advertised AT ALL. Everyone who has contacted me has been a friend or past acquaintance, or friend of a friend. It's only a matter of time before something blows up in my face though.

I am looking into what it would take to convert half of my mom's extra garage into a kitchen for me to be able to legally sell. I could sell from home if I didn't have indoor dogs, but my son's therapy dog isn't going anywhere so that makes it a "no-no" for me.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:00pm
post #39 of 47

Cakesdivine, I know I didn't do it. lol I just feel terrible about people being so obnoxious and idiotic. My almost 3 year old DD does the same thing. If I'm combing her hair and I pull she says sorry to me. Poor thing. LOL

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:25pm
post #40 of 47

Wait, so I can't even give a cake to a friend to serve at a party? Now I am soooo confused? So, is is that only purchased cakes can be sold at a party? Or am I missing something. I thought someone said that you can't even give a cake away if other people are going to eat it.

cakesdivine Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:25pm
post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Those posts don't sound like K8. Not a KWIM in sight icon_smile.gif

You could be right Costumeczar, but then again who knows...LOL!

cakesdivine Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Wait, so I can't even give a cake to a friend to serve at a party? Now I am soooo confused? So, is is that only purchased cakes can be sold at a party? Or am I missing something. I thought someone said that you can't even give a cake away if other people are going to eat it.

Chrissy it depends on the laws that govern your area. Most places it is ok to give a cake away no matter who is partaking in the goods, but, and it is usually in super over regulated municipalities that go the extreme and say, no homemade cake can be served to the general public. It is just the local HD or Ag Dept. way of getting more $$$ and exherting their power over the little guy. I think it is rare locations but just check with your local HD/AD to find out what is and isn't allowed.

Here in Texas a parent can't even bake cupcakes for their kids class at a public school. They have to purchase them from a licensed bakery in order to bring them into the school.

Chickycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chickycakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm
post #43 of 47

Why, why, why do these threads turn ugly?

It isn't anyone's business if she is legal. She's selling a cake to a good friend. She wanted our advice for that-not on making 30 cakes a week to everyone in town.

I'm a bit tired of how ugly these things turn.

And yes, I'm a former lurker as well, cammyblake. icon_smile.gif

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:47pm
post #44 of 47

This thread doesn't sound ugly to me. It just seems like folks with good business acumen are trying to help. Just because they're not babyhanding the OP doesn't necessarily mean that they're being abusive and mean.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:38am
post #45 of 47

Costume, youre in rare form today! Luv it!!

Quote:

That guilt mentality you spoke of is what helped put my mom out of business 3 times in her life, twice with dance studios and once with a restaurant. She let people walk all over her, even her employees. She was just so afraid someone wouldn't like her ....

Geesh, Im going to start collecting these types of examples for a book, since Im always voicing my anguish at women who feel GUILTY and WORRY about people LIKING them so they wring their hands and give away their product and then wonder why they cant make it in business and why no one takes them seriously.

Geesh!

OP, one thing to watch with a round/square/round tiered cake is the size of the square cake. Lets say you were going to do a 6/10/12 or even an 8/10/12. A 10 square is 10 from side to side BUT! Its 14 from corner to corner. This means the corners will overhang the 12 cake by an inch or so. Even an 8 square will BARELY fit on a 12 round. Based on the wilton serving chart, which is what I used to determine PRICING, a 6/8/12 will serve 12/24/56 = 92 servings.

How many servings does your friend need?

For edible rhinestones n such, here is a link to Country Kitchens jewel molds: http://countrykitchensa.com/whatshot/hotmain.aspx

And OP, dont worry about all the static about the legal or illegal question. Many people are not aware that its illegal to bake and sell out of their home, so its just common info that is shared all the time. In my time on this site, Ive found that those who get all pi$$y about it are those who want to do whatever they want with no regard for the rules, so they hate being told what the rules are. These are the same folks who probably stomped their little foot and stuck out their bottom lip when mommy wouldnt give them a cookie before dinner . Their tantrum worked back then so they think it works now.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #46 of 47

K8 didn't get banned. She changed her name and stopped posting because she felt (as I understand it) that she was very misunderstood and being ganged up on. And I, for one, miss her.

bettycracker1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettycracker1972 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm
post #47 of 47

My sister-in-law fell into some bad luck and was recieving foodstamps for a time. There's no way she could afford a cake on her limited income, but she's a wonderful seamstress and made me an adorable bag for my knitting projects. I think we both felt good after the exchange.

I like the idea of trading favors for cakes. But beware that one friend in publishing that chooses to make business cards for you! What a waste of paper and ink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%