Flattening Out Cakes

Decorating By lovetrujillo Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm by CWIL

lovetrujillo Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:13am
post #1 of 11

Ok so I am making a 3 tiered baby shower cake and I have never been able to get my cakes to even out on the top. I have tried trimming it and I never get it even. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do, this cake is very important to me there will be tons of people there and it is for my baby sisters first baby.

10 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #2 of 11

Since my cakes always dome a bit over the top of the pan, I trim off the top even with the top edge of the cake pan. Results in a nice even layer.

ZoesMum Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:41am
post #3 of 11

I just use a wire cake cutter...it rests on the counter and cuts it to an even height as long as you go carefully!

monet1895 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 11

I use the Wilton wire cutter too...it's like 3.50 at Michaels.

poohsmomma Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 11

Like TNT, my cakes dome above the sides of the pan. I actually add a little extra batter so they do. Then I use the top edge of the pan to as a guide to trim off the dome. Always comes out level, and my husband loves the "scraps" in a big bowl with ice cream. (He doesn't know it, but I'm fattening him up so I can sell him by the pound.)

ZoesMum Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #6 of 11

Poohsmomma...that gave me quite a giggle!!!

denetteb Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #7 of 11

Another idea I read here is to use a small bubble level from a hardware store to make sure your layers are level when you are stacking if that is part of the issue you have. Of course you would have to make sure that your work surface is also level. I had trouble eyeballing things for a while then checked and my table wasn't level!

indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:16am
post #8 of 11

If your cakes don't rise higher than the pan, here's an idea I got from CC that really works.

Remove the cakes from the pan. Place 2 to 4 cardboard rounds in the pan. Return the cake to the pan. The cake, sitting on the cardboards, is now elevated above the edge of the cake pan. Use a long knife and trim the top, using the pan as a guide.

perfectly flat every single time. (the only hard part is getting the carboards out of the pan! icon_redface.gif )

SunshineSally Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #9 of 11

I like that tip indydebi!

I always check my layered cakes with one of those little bubble levels. I have a small one that is for picture hanging and it's quite handy!

bettycracker1972 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 11

That's an awesome idea indydebi! I'll have to try it. I bought the wilton leveler but doesn't work so well. I get a flat surface but seems to be uneven more often than not. I love to trim in the pan but cakes don't always bake that high.

CWIL Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 11

A method that I found on the internet and most times works for us is just to press the cake down immediately when it comes out of the oven with your hand, using a towel as they're hot of course.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%