Grad Cake

Decorating By nicoletyler7 Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm by CakeEvolution

nicoletyler7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoletyler7 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to make a graduation cake for my husband he is about to graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Electronics Engineering. My plan for the cake is to make a closed text book with a calculator and pencil and maybe a circuit board. For the book I was planning on using fondant over the cake. I am wondering if there is a tool to make the lines for the pages and if I should use fondant with lines or icing with lines in it. I was getting a couple of picture ideas off the photo gallery in graduation cakes. I think I want the cleaner fondant look to it.

Was thinking about making a screen on the calculator but what to use to give it that glass look?

For the circuit board I want everything on it to be edible. I am having trouble figuring out what to use to make the chips on it. I was thinking I could use twizzlers for the red wires on them. Don't know what to use to make yellow,blue or black wire any suggestions?

So many questions. Thanks guys. You are all so awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:36am
post #2 of 5

Here's a link to a website where you can shop for candy by color. I thought it might help give you some ideas.

http://www.candywarehouse.com/candycolors.html

PS: I'd use string licorice for the Black wire

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 5

I am not sure about the tool to make lines of notebook paper (for cake)... I would like to know that one as well; maybe use a template or (edible images if you have the printer; But personally, I would cover in Fondant and Handpaint ....ALL of them
For the solar-power screen/front-screen...I would use fondant/gumpaste...very light shades of gray and maybe dust it with some shimmer or luster dust dust in the same color family....Just to give it a little shine.
The circuit board board... you could use twizzlers of various colors/ or if your piping skills are good...you can make it with royal icing.....

Either way this Cake is going to be a LABOR OF LOVE....... but I am pretty sure he will Love It!!! Good Luck, please post a picture when you are done...I would love to see it.

nicoletyler7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoletyler7 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you guys, I did figure out how to make the lines for the pages in the book. Use fondant for the white pages around the sides. Then use the back of a sharp knife (steak knife) angle it down to make cuts for the pages. I tried that Candy warehouse website and it keeps telling me the link is broken even when I just enter www.candywarehouse.com. I really want to check it out maybe it is just down right now I don't know. Thank you guys for all your help.

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 5

I have checked out the website without any problems....maybe its your firewall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%