3D Cake On Short Notice

Business By karateka Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm by KHalstead

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 11

I had a call from a lady who asked if I did cutout cakes. I asked her what she meant by that, and she said her daughter wanted a dinosaur cake, but not one with a dinosaur on top....one where the cake was in the shape of a dinosaur.

And she wants it for this Friday.

I double checked if she meant a 3D cake and she said yes, she wants it to look like a dinosaur. She said that apparently making a cake on a Friday is a big pain in the butt for most bakeries, because nobody she's called could do it.

At that point I told her that it wasn't that she wanted a cake for a Friday that was the problem. I told her that it is extremely short notice for a 3D cake, as those require several days of planning and execution and I didn't know anyone around here who would be able to help her on such short notice.

She got this disgusted tone to her voice, said "thanks" and hung up.

I might have offered to help her with a 2D cake, but I already have a 3D alien cake to do plus a 2 tier birthday cake for this weekend.

Just thought you guys would be interested in the conversation.

10 replies
flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 11

She's a Cake Muggle for sure! I think you handled it well by explaining to her why it wasn't possible in this short amount of time.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 11

People have no clue. Kudos to you for giving her an education. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpowerMN

She's a Cake Muggle for sure! I think you handled it well by explaining to her why it wasn't possible in this short amount of time.

Agree. And it was much more diplomatic than when I flat out laughed at the guy on the phone, (who wanted a 3D carved cake of a sports car for his dinner party THAT NIGHT!), and said to him, "Dude, do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that? And you expect one in 6 hours? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif "

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 11

That is because all these people watch cake boss and ace of cakes where they produce these great works of art in a 30 minute show. Cake muggles, sigh

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:57am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpowerMN

Agree. And it was much more diplomatic than when I flat out laughed at the guy on the phone, (who wanted a 3D carved cake of a sports car for his dinner party THAT NIGHT!), and said to him, "Dude, do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that? And you expect one in 6 hours? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif "

Debi, you crack me up. thumbs_up.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 11

I had a similar converstion with a woman yesterday. She calls me at 6:00pm last night.

Me: Hello this is Christina.
Woman: Do you deliver?
Me: Yes.
Woman: I would like 2 dozen cupcakes tomorrow, delivered.
Me: I am sorry, I cannot help you with that.
Woman: But, it is my son's birthday.
Me: I am sorry, I cannot help you with that.
Woman: All the other bakeries are already closed. Do you know of anyone that can help me.
Me: Wal-Mart is open 24hrs a day, but they don't deliver.
Woman: "click"

I get so annoyed with people. Why wait until 6:00 at night to call a bakery for your kids birthday cupcakes the night before they are needed? Like you didn't know this day was coming for the past year? And who delivers 2 dozen cupcakes?

I had plans last night, but if I hadn't I would have told her I could do the order and deliver them for $100.00. I figured my regular price for 2 dozen cupcakes is $40.00, then doubled for a rush order and a $20.00 delivery fee.

I knew I wouldn't get the order for $100.00, the quote would just be to make a point.

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 11

I had an email from a customer who wanted TWO 3D cakes for an adult twin b.day party. She emailed me Wed. night for a Sat. party. The cakes were to be a 3D fish and a 3D boat. The cakes were to feed 10 people each. I have a 20 min. serving per cake @ $4.00 per serving. I quoted her $200 incl. delivery because I needed the money. She nearly had a heart attack as she expected to pay $50 or $60 for BOTH.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm_cakes

I had an email from a customer who wanted TWO 3D cakes for an adult twin b.day party. She emailed me Wed. night for a Sat. party. The cakes were to be a 3D fish and a 3D boat. The cakes were to feed 10 people each. I have a 20 min. serving per cake @ $4.00 per serving. I quoted her $200 incl. delivery because I needed the money. She nearly had a heart attack as she expected to pay $50 or $60 for BOTH.

Oh good grief...she should be glad she didn't call me!!! She would have had that heart attack!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #10 of 11

I never take last minute orders, EVER...they always end up in a bad note, people don't care you went to sleep at 3:00am to finish the cake and they pick on every single detail.

Last time I did a last minute cake the lady told me to do whatever I wanted as long as it was a gymnastic theme cake, I did a beatiful cake with a fondant figurine, parallel bar, the olympic rings, etc...she picked up the cake, said she loved it and left...and then called my 4 hours later telling me that wasn't what she was expecting!
I made a 8" round cake...she told me she was expecting a shorter-rectangular cake (a sheet cake).

Yes, I told her over the phone what the cake was going to look like, and she agreed with all my ideas.

NEVER AGAIN...EVER!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 11

I charge an extra "rush order fee" for any order with less than 48 hrs. notice.....for carved cakes it's less than 2 weeks notice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%