Pricing...

Business By AmandaCMH Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm by AmandaCMH

AmandaCMH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaCMH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 12

Probably beating a dead horse here but...

Ive been asked to make a bridal shower cake. Two tiered, white fondant, black details, large glittery bow. I feel fairly confident making it, I know it will be great! But, Im on the fence about what to charge her, its an accquantence and Im just starting out. Any ideas/suggestions??

Thanks!

11 replies
AmandaCMH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 12

oh, I just added a couple photos to my album so you have an idea of what Im able to do... icon_smile.gif

AmandaCMH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 12

uh oh, is this a no-no question??? icon_redface.gif I really just need a mentor, someone who knows what theyre doing and willing to answer a few questions as I go along... I hate to plead, but I do value your opinions!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 12

I am NOT a pro, but maybe part of the lack of response is that areas of the country have different pricing. I am in Texas and a house here is much bigger then a house in Calif. of the same price..so lack of info may also have to do with it.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 12

Cost of ingredients + your hourly rate multiplied by the hours it will take you = PRICE.

Pretty simple. Your hourly rate is up to you and also what the market in your area will bear. Check prices of local bakers/bakeries for a starting point. Each area of the country is different.

There is also a cake pricing matrix on this site (Alice's, I think).

Good luck

AmandaCMH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you!! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 12

Aliwis, I think the lack of response was because it had only been less than 20 mins since she posted. Not every post gets replied to right away.

As far as pricing, what was stated is pretty much it. You need to know how much it costs you in time and supplies, how much you want to make an hour, and what is a fair price in your area.

A person in NY city can probably make more on a cake, than I can in East Texas.

To me it shouldn't matter if you know the person or not, they are coming to you for a service. Do you expect a discount from your friends from their jobs?

If you get into selling cakes, you also want to check what your state/counties reguirements are on it.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Aliwis, I think the lack of response was because it had only been less than 20 mins since she posted. Not every post gets replied to right away.

As far as pricing, what was stated is pretty much it. You need to know how much it costs you in time and supplies, how much you want to make an hour, and what is a fair price in your area.

A person in NY city can probably make more on a cake, than I can in East Texas.

To me it shouldn't matter if you know the person or not, they are coming to you for a service. Do you expect a discount from your friends from their jobs?

If you get into selling cakes, you also want to check what your state/counties reguirements are on it.

Sorry didnt check the time stamp....plus the last few of my posts did not go through..so I was using this as a test..didnt mean to offend...

*smiles*
Alicia

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 12

No, no you didn't offend me at all. No need to aplogize.

I was just saying that OP appeared was in a hurry to get an answer, which we all like an answer right way, but sometimes on these boards there are slower times and a question may go un-answered for a while.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 12

Assuming it is legal for you to sell cakes...

Charge your normal price. It doesn't matter if it's for an "aquaintance."
I have a lot of aquaintances that are dentists, doctors, plumbers, etc. They don't give me a discount on their services and I don't give them one on their cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 12

Some pricing threads you may find helpful:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6475557#6475557
Notice pattiverde's pricing calculations when she compares ingredient costs to labor costs

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-662035-0.html
Notice leahs post .... 20% of retail cost means if you sell it for $1, then your materials costs should only be 20 cents ...... and if your materials costs are 20 cents, then you multiply times 5 to get the retail cost.

Do the math a few ways ..... you'll get a different answer every time, but go thru the process to learn pricing structures.

AmandaCMH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 12

thanks everyone, and yes it is legal for me! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%