Getting Ready To Make My First Wedding Cake. Help

Decorating By tlcrrredneck Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 12:38am by tiggy2

tlcrrredneck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcrrredneck Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 11

Hi,
I'm very much the amateur, and will be making a wedding cake for my little sisters wedding this Sunday the 7th. Its is a 3 tier cake pan set sold by Wilton that I picked up at Michaels. I have a few questions

1) When should i begin making the cake?
2) I did a practice round and the cake was too soft and kept cracking any ideas?
3) For each tier do i make two of the same size and stack?
4) I have been making gum paste roses on wire they, now how do i apply to the cake?
5) last but not least how do you cut the cake after its assembled?

Thank you so much in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

Also I will post a pic of roses i have made so far, unfortuanly they are not looking like roses lol
LL

10 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 11

Hi there,

Ok, I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1. You can make and freeze the cake up to a week in advance (I know others who do this even further but for me it seems to taste fresher if done no more than a week before)

2. You may need a denser cake recipe. Do you use cake flour? If making from box mix you may want to fortify it. I use an extra egg to make it a bit more dense but there are many other recipes out there that will work. I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

3. You can certainly make 2 inch layers and stack those to make the tier or you can torte a 3 or 4 inch layer to make the tier. Whatever you feel more comfortable with. I have 3 inch springform pans that I bake in and then torte.

4. As for the roses, never insert wire into the cake. Instead, insert coffee stirrer straws that have the wired roses inserted into the cake. The coffee stirrers are food safe and protect the cake but they also give you added stability in placing the roses.

5. You must disassemble a wedding cake before truly cutting it. The first ceremonial cut is usually from the bottom tier and then the cake is taken away, disassembled and then plated from there. Start with cutting/serving the bottom tier and work your way up to the top tier. That way if the smaller tier is not needed then it can be boxed up for the family/couple to take away with them. And, yes, bring smaller bakery boxes for this to the venue.

Hope this helps!

tlcrrredneck Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 11

ty that helped em a lot!!

yes i am using a box recipe. excuse my ameturness but what is torte?

also best thing to use to color gumpaste? It is a black and white wedding cake

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 11

To torte means you divide a layer into two layers by knife. As for coloring gumpaste, I use gel pastes by Americolor. Remember, no dumb questions here...just knowledge to be soaked up!

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 11

Torte is when you take a cake and you slice it in half or thirds and you add filling between the slices to make one layer. There are many different ways to do this, you have to find the one that is best for you. What I do is bake 1in cakes then I level them then I fill and stack 4 of them to make 1 4in layer. And for me I have found that the gel food coloring works good to color gumpaste. Hope this helps. Good Luck icon_smile.gif

tlcrrredneck Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 11

thank you all so much so far!!!
Since I am getting answers. I bought a stencil from the craft store and i want to tint some bc icing black to stencil onto my fondant . Is there is certain way to do this? icon_razz.gificon_redface.gif

anesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anesha Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 11

If you go to the recipe section of this site, there are recipes for a more durable cake. Try typing durable cake for 3d, these are used for sculpted cakes so they are more sturdy and work well with stacked cakes.

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 11

I have not done that much, I've watched Cake boss do it, lol. He used RI I think and I am pretty sure it shoud be stiff so it won't run. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 11

Royal icing is better to use for stenciling then BC. There may be tutorials on you tube. Just be sure to clean the stencil after each application.

tlcrrredneck Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 11

thank you.

Does anyone have the recipe for the denser cake. I cant seem to find it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:38am
post #11 of 11

Just wondering if you've done a tiered cake before? If not be sure to use a good support system or it will never stand. If you look in the article section it whosw hos to stack a tiered cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%