Using Regular Veg.shortenng In Sugarshacks Recipe

Baking By kileyscakes Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:41pm by Debi2

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 19

I was just wondering if anyone has luck using regular veg. shortening in the buttercream for this recipe. I don't really want to order high ratio unless absolutely necessary.

18 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 19

as long as it has trans fats, it will work. Not as nice of a product as with hi ratio, but will work. HTH!

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 19

Dying to try SugarShack's recipe - what exactly is hi-ratio shortening and where can I find it? Thanks icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 19

I use aldi's version. Works better than fareway's generic version. Walmart's works okay, too.

Like was said above - as long as there are trans fats it will work okay.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 19

I love her recipe and used to do it with store brand shortening,but I have since bought some sweetex from f o n d a n t s o u r c e . c o m (no spaces) and it makes a HUGE difference.

menas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menas Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #6 of 19

I've been reading the trans fat grams on the shortening cans at every grocery store I go in, trying to see if I can get out of having to order the high ratio off the net. The only one's I've seen are only 1 maybe 2 grams. I was wondering, what does the high ratio stuff have?

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:18am
post #7 of 19

does the sweetex come in smaller volumes than 50lbs? It would take me forever to go through that much!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:18am
post #8 of 19

i like sugar shack, it's not as sweet as some others, i just made some last night, i just use store brand crisco it crusts good for me.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #9 of 19

my sweetex has 3 grams trans fat I think.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:20am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

does the sweetex come in smaller volumes than 50lbs? It would take me forever to go through that much!

I just bought some PS99 or something like that in a 5lb bucket!!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:30am
post #11 of 19

Aldi's, Walmart and storebrand 3% transfat works for me!

Kellpepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellpepper Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:14am
post #12 of 19

[list=]
Aldi and walmart store brand in mary area are now trans-free. Which stinks cuz I live in a very rural area. [/list]

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lil_Cakehouse

Quote:

I just bought some PS99 or something like that in a 5lb bucket!!

How does the ps99 work for you? I wanted hi ratio also to try sugarshacks recipe and called the only local cake supply place and that is what she carries. She said it is hi ratio and is similar to sweetex but a little cheaper. I've never used any hi ratio before so I have no comparison.

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm
post #14 of 19

I too have found that my local Aldi's and Walmart brands are now trans fat free...but we have another grocery store that sells a generic brand called "Best Choice" and it has 2.5 or 3 grams...I can't remember which...but it was the only shortening that had trans fat. I bought 4 big tubs just to stock up.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

as long as it has trans fats, it will work. Not as nice of a product as with hi ratio, but will work. HTH!

I use a hi-ratio trans-fat free, non-hydrogenated all veg. shortening and I get great results. icon_smile.gif I don't know what I'm missing though, so if it comes out even smoother with the transfats, that's Amazing!!!
Thank you again, Sharon... LOVE this recipe and all your techniques!!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:14am
post #16 of 19
Quote:

sugar C R A F T .com sells a 3 lbs bucket for $7.35
www.globalsugarart.com sells a 12 lbs. box for $35.99

HTH

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm
post #17 of 19

I use regular vegetable shortening with the transfats all the time, and my icing is smooth as can be.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 19

dalis, what kills me is the exorbitant cost of shipping. I much prefer the smoothness and handling of hi-ratio, but having to mail-order most of my supplies reduces me to using house brands. (I worry, though, about the continuing availability with the move to trans-fat free everything.)

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:41pm
post #19 of 19

Where do you get the shortening (and brand name?) you use Torchwood?

I'm not sure I understand how it can be hi-ratio and trans-fat-free? I thought the trans fats was what made the shortening hi-ratio? I'm confused. ha ha I do know I would much rather use the trans-fat free and non-hydrogenated version if it has good results!

Thanks!
Debi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%