How Do I Keep Gumpaste Figures From Flattening Out?

Decorating By michgowell Updated 6 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm by marknelliesmum

michgowell Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

How can I keep my gumpaste figures, especially round ones from flattening out on the side they lay on. I figure someone has some helpful hints on propping them up or something. THANKS!

5 replies
cs_confections Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 6

There was just a thread where someone posted a great tip-thought I had saved it, but can't find it in my watched threads.

Anyways, they filled a container with flour and covered it with saran wrap. She said to make an indention in the flour to hold your piece's shape and had included a picture. She said that she heard the tip from someone else who actually place the fondant/gumpaste piece in the flour, but she started covering the flour with plastic wrap to avoid getting it on the piece. She also said if the piece sticks to the plastic wrap that you could cover it with (I can't quite remember) tissue paper or a papertowel, then place your piece.

If someone else remembers this thread, maybe they can post a link to the it so you can see the picture and detailed instructions.

Lou71 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 6

Modelling from sugarpaste alone with cause the weight to squeeze out of the side.

Either mix 50 to 50 ratio of sugarpaste and flowerpaste together or mix a teaspoon of tylo powder to 350g of sugarpaste (this method is used with Lorraine McKay).

Hope this helps.

Louise

katies_cakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 6

I love lorraines work! im also having problems with my figures, what is tylo and where can i get it from? iv heard the name tylo before but have no idea what to look for! sorry still very new to this!

Lou71 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 6

I see you are from the UK you will be able to get tylo powder from any cake decorating shops and web sites. Try a piece of cake or design-a-cake.
It is a fine powder you mix into your sugarpaste for support.

Louise

marknelliesmum Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 6

Hey guys
If you are in the UK look ask for sugarcel (cmc) by sugarflair it does the same job (i'm sure that's what Lorraine uses too) As for keeping the shape I put icing sugar (confectioners sugar) into a bowl and sit my pieces into it. No need for saran as the icing sugar will just dust off when you remove the pieces from it and is basically the same stuff your figures are made from - unlike flour.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%