Meat Color?

Decorating By tirby Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 5:15am by hails

tirby Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 25

I anm making a subway sandwich in 2 days for the owner of our local subways... and need to get some input on coloring Fondant to look like meat.
Ham coloring?
or
Turkey? (I want to make this if possible)
anyone already do this??

24 replies
tirby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 25

Nobody? well I have 1 more day left. I can do trial and error I guess. I just hate wasting supplies if it doesnt work.I will look through pictures in the gallery amd pm more people maybe

hails Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 25

So sorry nobody has replied to your question, I wish I could help but I have not made anything meat colored but I will do a search and see if I can find anything for you, have a great day!!!

cakesrock Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 25

Why don't you try to PM someone who has done this on CC. Just have a look in the galleries. I'd like to know too.. good luck! icon_smile.gif

hails Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 25

Still searching, I did a google search and someone said they used 2parts red and 1part burgundy but that seems dark. I have searched here and have not found anything yet. There are many pictures with sub sammies but nobody has put their colors down, so sorry. Some of them look like perhaps a little pink and maybe some skin tone with a teeny bit of brown but I am not sure if that is it. I really hope you find something, I know how difficult it is when you need it and can not find it

tirby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 25

Ihave PM'd a few but no reply yet. That is why I posted this... But they might still.

tirby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hails

Still searching, I did a google search and someone said they used 2parts red and 1part burgundy but that seems dark. I have searched here and have not found anything yet. There are many pictures with sub sammies but nobody has put their colors down, so sorry. Some of them look like perhaps a little pink and maybe some skin tone with a teeny bit of brown but I am not sure if that is it. I really hope you find something, I know how difficult it is when you need it and can not find it




Thank you. I did search too and couldnt come up with anything.Here or Google. I looked for 2 days before posting.
I think the color you saw would be ok for say roast beef.. But that is just to dark for turkey or ham like you said.
Well who knows the day is young and I have a little time left.

hails Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 25

So sorry I looked and looked with no luck, did somebody pm you yet??? I really hope so

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 25

Okay..I'll give this a shot....I mixed red and green fondant the other day to test to see if I would get burgundy and it came out a meaty red color...You could use that for Ham....Then You could try using a touch of ivory for chicken or turkey and maybe hand paint the edges a dark brown to look like charred skin.HTH

tirby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 25

nope not yet

tirby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Okay..I'll give this a shot....I mixed red and green fondant the other day to test to see if I would get burgundy and it came out a meaty red color...You could use that for Ham....Then You could try using a touch of ivory for chicken or turkey and maybe hand paint the edges a dark brown to look like charred skin.HTH




Now the ball is rolling! do you think ivory and a touch of pink maybe?? IThey are delivering my WHOLE family dinner tonight so I will have a "model" to look at. YEA!!

hails Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 25

somebody posted this!
I have never tried matching the color of ham, but I would use little pieces of fondant and play around with colors until I got something that I thought was close. I would probably start by mixing terracotta and pink and go from there

tirby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hails

somebody posted this!
I have never tried matching the color of ham, but I would use little pieces of fondant and play around with colors until I got something that I thought was close. I would probably start by mixing terracotta and pink and go from there




terracotta?? I dont even have that color..So how do I make it is the next thought

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:10pm
post #14 of 25

Yeah..you could add a touch of pink...

hails Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 25

Yes, going through the pics on here it seems as they are a very light pink, I wish
I had the exact answer! It looks like you are going to have to play around, good luck

tirby Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:37pm
post #16 of 25

So this terracotta color what is that or anyone have any idea on how to make it. is it like brown and orange?

cakesrock Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirby

Ihave PM'd a few but no reply yet. That is why I posted this... But they might still.




Sorry, guess I should read more carefullly! Terracotta is a Wilton color, (works really well for brick) but Michaels doesn't carry it here, anyway...I had to go to a hobby shop across town. You can order it on-line, however. icon_smile.gif

tirby Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:57pm
post #18 of 25

OK everyone.. TODAY is the day to color the meat.(Sounds so wierd.)
Last night the Manager delivered 7 foot long subs to the house. 1 for each person in the family and 1 extra for a model. So if you add that to the price I charged for the cake I'm thinking..." icon_rolleyes.gif Wanna order another??" icon_wink.gif
Anyway I think I have the basic plan of attack I will let you know WHAT I did, or at least the successful attempt. it will be Turkey with pepperjack cheese, tomato, cucumber, olives ,purple onion, lettuce, andmaybe a yellow pepper. (I need to look at it to see if there is anything else. I saved the model in the fridge for real color compairason and took pictures (just in case I need to eat lunch icon_lol.gif )
Thank you for your help and I will keep you posted!

hails Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #19 of 25

Good luck, can not wait to see the finished cake!!!!!!

tirby Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:47pm
post #20 of 25

well here is the "so far" looks like Americolor Fleshtone is the closest to the Turkey Breast color... I will keep you posted

hails Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:28pm
post #21 of 25

I have heard about Americolor but have no idea where to buy it. Where did you get yours? So did you get hungry at lunch and eat the model sub...hehehheee
Have a great day

Price Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #22 of 25

I suggested the terracotta and pink. I use Americolor. Can't wait to see your picture. Be sure to post it!

EvMarie Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #23 of 25

Hi There...I chimed in on hailes "post of help" with pink and paint the edges brown for a whole ham. I didn't pick up on the fact that it's a sandwhich.

I hope the terracotta works! We don't have Americolor in craft stores but our "little" cake supply lady has a lot of Americolor. Should be able to mix from the readily available Wilton though...

I hope it's going well. What a neat cake!

tirby Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hails

I have heard about Americolor but have no idea where to buy it. Where did you get yours? So did you get hungry at lunch and eat the model sub...hehehheee
Have a great day



I ordered my Americoler online Global sugar art carries them.
YES! We did get hungry and had the sub for lunch (after we color matched the filling.)
I AM DONE!!
The meat I used americolor fleshtone (copper) it was great. just a TINY TINY bit at a time. Then used the brown to color the edges for the seared look. There are purple onions (used Fucia for that) and cucumbers, olives, pickles,Tomatoes, Yello peppers. it was fun. BE SURE if you try this to think about support. The fondant weight caused me to redo the bottom layer. (not good) but it turned out just fine. I posted the pic.

hails Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 5:15am
post #25 of 25

I am happy it turned out well for you, I am excited and am heading to your pics to check it out, thanks for sharing, have a great evening!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%