Glace Or Ri??

Baking By Spectra Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 12:46pm by smokeysmokerton

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 17

Hi, I'm just wondering what the difference is between these two? I've looked up the recipes and I'm just wondering if the end result is the same or do they taste different or anything like that?

Thanks.

16 replies
AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 17

I prefer glace over RI. RI dries so hard it feels like it's gonna break my teeth. Glace dries hard enough to stack but stays soft once you bite into it.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 17

I think glace tastes a little better, but I prefer working with royal icing. RI dries super quickly and is EASY to work with. Also, if you're using Antonia's RI and adding extract, the flavor is good and it doesnt dry super hard.
Glace is (for me) harder to get the consistency perfect, and I tend to have more issues with it dripping off the sides of the cookies.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 17

I use glace for all of my cookie decorating. I like that it doesn't require meringue powder, and I like how easy it is to mix up and adjust the consistency. It tastes good, and doesn't get rock hard (which is a plus for me!)

Spectra Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 17

Oh you guys! I'm going to have to try both aren't I??? lol! icon_biggrin.gif

I am curious though as to how long cookies will last out in the open, room temp, and if they should be in an airtight container?

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 17

From my experience, it's better to leave the cookies in a container that lets just a little bit of air in. Not letting any air will make the cookies get soft and the icing will bleed/discolor and get soft too. But I use glace. I always get confused when people say that Antonia's royal icing doesn't get crunchy... I make it just like the recipe and it's super crunchy when it dries. Glace stays much softer. I do use the royal for details though because glace can't make defined lines as well. They definitely taste different. You probably will have to try both to see which you like better!

Spectra Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks CookieBaker for the helpful response. icon_smile.gif

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 17

For what it's worth, I decorated cookies with RI recently and, after a couple days sitting out, the icing was really hard. So I put the cookies and 1/2 slice of bread in a Tupperware-type container...a day later the cookies AND the icing were moister and more pleasant to eat.

Spectra Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 17

Hmm, very interesting, thanks! It reminds me of when I put bread in the brown sugar container hehe.

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra

Hmm, very interesting, thanks! It reminds me of when I put bread in the brown sugar container hehe.

Same concept..and I've done that with brown sugar, too! icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #11 of 17

I agree. You definately have to try both. I first liked RI. Then i tried glace but found it hard to work with so i went back to RI. But then i tried gemini's recipe and now i use glace exclusively.

Spectra Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 17

I can't seem to fine this Gemini's recipe. Could you link it for me?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra

I can't seem to fine this Gemini's recipe. Could you link it for me?

I would like to try it myself. Does it work well with edible images?

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 17

Ugh, i'm at work and don't have the recipe. If no one beats me to it, hopefully Gemini will, then i'll post the recipe when i get home. You'd think i'd know it by heart by now!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:07am
post #15 of 17

Here's the recipe I use:

3 cups powdered sugar,sifted
3 tablespoons skim milk (or other type milk, or water)
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla or almond (optional)
15 drops brite white food color (I use Americolor)

In a medium size bowl and with a spoon, mix together all the ingredients except the brite white until fully combined. Add the brite white and mix well. You will probably want to adjust the consistency of the icing so that it is similar to white school glue. To thicken, add more powdered sugar. To thin, add more corn syrup. Divide and color.

I've been adding the extract recently, as I like the taste. I've had some issues with the icing finish, though, and don't know if the extract is the culprit. It tastes fine without it, so you decide.

For outlining (which I do last) add enough powdered sugar to the icing until it is the consistency of peanut butter. I use a #1s tip for all my outlining and detail work.

The leftover icing should stay fresh for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator. The decorated cookies do not need to be refrigerated, even when using milk in the recipe, due to high sugar content.

Happy decorating!

Susan

Spectra Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #16 of 17

Thanks a bunch Susan! icon_smile.gif

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:46pm
post #17 of 17

I had some buttercream left over from some cupcakes(I use wilton's snow white bc recipe), so I added a little water to it and tried my hand at flooding some cookies. They didn't turn out perfectly because my piping skills are non existant, but the icing dried very nicely and it still tastes really good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%