Buttercream That Sparkles - How To?

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 12:01am by joycesdaughter111

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 16

I have an order for a cake, Buttercream frosting that sparkles. The customer said that she saw it at a bridal show. The cake decorator used sugar crystal sprinkles. Is that the same as the colored sugar you put on cookies? Or what is it? She wants the sugar crystals to be Champaign colored. Can you color the crystals with luster dust? And where would you buy large quantities of the sprinkles as its a three tiered cake to feed 125 so I would assume that you would need a lot of sprinkles to cover the entire cake. Any suggestions would be greatful.

15 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 16

http://www.exquisitecakes.net/All%20Pictures/Crystal%20Cake%20w-Jewels%20Detail.JPG

this is probably what she's talking about, you can do it with a fondant covered cake too by brushing it with piping gel first.

The sugar crystals you're looking for are called "sanding sugar" and it comes in EVERY color imagineable!

ljhow623 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 16

That's exactly the effect I'm looking for. How do you apply it to Buttercream? Where can I purchase a large quantity of champaign colored sugar?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 16

umm . .. no you don't using sanding sugar. You use Sparkling Sugar - bigger crystals.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 16

woops....sorry leah, my cake deco. store packages it themselves and they just call it all "sanding sugar" so I didn't realize that there were different names for the different sizes.

Go with leah's suggestion she knows what she's talkin about!lol I guess you'd need to know that if you were buying it online, I was just thinking you'd naturally grab the size you wanted if you were in a cake deco store, sorry!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 16

I would use a a non crusting buttercream and just use my hand to gently adhere the sugar to it. When done, just brush the excess off the boards.

I am sure GSA has the sugar you need.

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:17am
post #7 of 16

I have a student that wants to do a wedding cake with the sparkle sugar. Have you had success with the sugar if you apply it to the american buttercream before it crusts? I would imagine it would stick if you applied it right away, please correct me if I'm wrong. I have not used this technique myself and do not want to mislead her. Thank for any help and advice anyone can offer. Also if anyone has some great pictures that would be awesome.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:41am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

umm . .. no you don't using sanding sugar. You use Sparkling Sugar - bigger crystals.

Leah's right, it's called sparkling sugar, and it does do a wonderful effect. I've used it on bc before it crusts and I've used it on fondant. I especialy love it on fondant cause it cover up all the boo boo's like spakling cake.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:44am
post #9 of 16

This is really a lovely effect. What does it taste like when you're eating it? I'm guessing it's hard and crunchy?

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 16

thanks for the info

ljhow623 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 16

I ended up using a product called cake glitter. I applied it to the buttercream before it crusted and then smoothed it out afterwards. It came out very pretty however very messy to work with. Here is a pic of the cake for your reference. I hope you can see the sparkles.
LL

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 16

Very nice.

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to try this one!

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #14 of 16

Where did you purchase this glitter? Beautiful!

ljhow623 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 16

I purchased it a local supply store. It's Bakery Crafts and the correct name is star glitter. The nice thing is it comes in big 4 oz containers.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:01am
post #16 of 16

wilton makes a product called cake sparkles. It is light and fluffy not heavy like sanding sugar so it wouldn't be as hard and crunchy. I get mine at Michael's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%