Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake-Some Questions.

Baking By springlakecake Updated 26 Nov 2013 , 8:29am by benber

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 65

Hello-
I just made this for the first time yesterday and I found it to be impressive!
I was doing some research on this cake and noticed there was a "new" version with an additional cup of milk. Was this something that Sylvia changed or someone else? Just curious. I am also curious as to why it needed changing? the old version is very good!

Just some general questions about the cake before I get too excited about it:

I am wondering if this is a good cake for carving?

Does it freeze well?

How long does it stay moist? Does it require any moistening syrup if not eaten right away?

Can the recipe be mulitplied?

I didn't feel like I got as much batter as the recipe seemed to indicate. I weighed the ingredients based on about 111g of cake flour per cup. So I don't know if this gave me less flour? I felt like it barely was enough for 2 8x2 pans, definitely not enough for 2 8x3 pans!

Does this recipe yeild consistent results? I hate finicky cakes.

Thanks!!!

64 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 65

Hi! I use her cake recipes most often when I bake. She changed the recipe ("tweaked" it). My guess as to why is that it probably suited her taste. It is a great cake for carving. Regarding freezing, I do not freeze cakes at all (just don't like to do it), so I cannot provide an answer there. My cakes are made and delivered right away, and are often eaten right away, so I don't know how long they stay moist. I would guess it would also have to do with how it's stored. About using moistening syrup, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I often add it for an extra kick of flavor, more than for adding additional moisture to the cake. I have multiplied it often with no problems, although I have not done it by weight measures. I always have consistent results as well. HTH!!! icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 65

Great, that is very helpful! I dont generally freeze a lot either, but I do if I am going to carve the cake.

Do you use the old or new recipe?

Do you use her other recipes? I don't have her book, but maybe I should get it.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 65

I use her old recipe, and look forward to trying the new when I need a yellow cake. I have made her other cakes and really like her spice recipe. A friend asked me to make it for her pastor's birthday and many people said how much they enjoyed it. The white cake is very good, too, except I have a different scratch recipe that I prefer. My family really likes her yellow cake, so of her recipes, that's the one I use most. icon_wink.gif Her fillings and frostings are great, too, by the way!

My mom gave me Sylvia Weinstock's first book when it came out many years ago. Of my bake books, this one has the most bookmarks, stickies, sheets with conversions... icon_biggrin.gif Last year Mom surprised me with her second book which has lots of photos of the many amazing cakes she's done.

Anyway... I guess you already get the impression that in my opinion her books are a great investment. icon_lol.gif

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 65

Is Sylvia's first book Sensational Cakes? Thanks

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 65

I love her original recipe,the new one is way way to moist.It just fell apart on me.I have made this several times and I find that after day 2 it starts to dry out some.But they could be my palate as I am used to box mixes and they stay moist for a week.I have not frozen this but have carved it and it worked well.: )

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesweetcake

Is Sylvia's first book Sensational Cakes? Thanks

No, she had a book out a few years before that one. I have the "Sensational Cakes" too and use those recipes. I don't add the ginger though (because I don't really like it that much & I could taste it in the cake-maybe it was mental as others said they couldn't taste it) to the recipe. I've had the best luck with here cake recipes though.

springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 65

I appreciate all the comments about the cake. I decided with the other layer that we havent eaten yet to split it up and test it LOL. I put a piece in the freezer, one in the fridge (both wrapped) and the other piece I just wrapped and will see how moist it is from day to day.

I really like the "tang" and richness that the sour cream adds. I also like that the structure seems nice and firm for slicing and tiered cakes, but it is still soft with a nice crumb.

I don't think I will try the new recipe. Seems like a lot of people had problems with it. I had originally assumed that someone other than sylvia changed or "tweaked" the recipe. Seems to me than 1 cup of additional liquid is a lot.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 65

"Sweet Celebrations" is the title of her first book... In her second book, she does address having changed the yellow cake recipe. If I can find where she references it later, I'll come back and post it here. (It might be in the commentary with the recipe in her new book, I'm not sure.)

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 65

We did a scratch off a while back here is a link to it, her cake won and both of these links will tell you basically more then you ever wanted to know about her cake icon_razz.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=150

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-636013-.html

This is my go-to yellow cake, I love it! I freeze right after baking and then thaw about a week or two later and have never had any problems with it. I also have had this cake sitting on the counter slowly being eaten over about a week and did not notice it getting dried out at all! HTH!

springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 65

I think the results of the scratch off were the reason I tried the recipe! I wasnt happy with the inconsistent results I was getting with Toba's moist yellow cake. I think I like the flavor of SW cake better too. If I can count on it, I will definitely use it as my yellow cake. I am glad so many others like the cake as well, gives me some confidence!

Cucu1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cucu1214 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 65

I would like to ask you ladies, what is the difference between a yellow cake and a pound cake? I tried the butter vanilla pound cake posted here in cc, have to say is very good, my kids loved it, so for stacking cakes what do you recommend?

springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm
post #13 of 65

I don't know exactly what is considered a "pound" cake. It used to be a pound of butter, sugar and flour was used. Usually pound cakes are dense and often baked in a loaf pan. I would think a pound cake is a "type" of cake. "Yellow" would indicate the flavor.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #14 of 65

I use her Yellow Cake recipe for my yellow cake. It freezes well and when refrigerated I think it would be great for carving. Also I am lazy and just add in the whole eggs when it tells you to add the yolks. I don't whip the whites.

springlakecake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 65

So how does that effect the recipe? Have you tried it both ways? It certainly would be EASIER to just throw them in there. If there was no discernable difference I would rather do it that way. However, if whipping them separately makes a difference, I don't mind taking an extra couple of minutes.

I was going to ask another question, my cake shrank around the top edge a bit. Does that make sense? I read someone suggest in another thread that this happens in recipes that you have to fold in the egg whites. Is this true? If so, how do you avoid this?

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #16 of 65

I actually haven't tried it by beating the egg whites but I love it the way I bake it and so do my customers!

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:18am
post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBakinBarbie

"Sweet Celebrations" is the title of her first book... In her second book, she does address having changed the yellow cake recipe. If I can find where she references it later, I'll come back and post it here. (It might be in the commentary with the recipe in her new book, I'm not sure.)

Okay... I checked "Sensational Cakes" and the only comment I found about the change in her yellow cake recipe was on the recipe page itself. It is simply noted that they've perfected it over time. Sounds like it might have been a collaborative effort. icon_wink.gif

springlakecake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #18 of 65

Interesting. Well I really liked the "old" recipe and I hope to make it my "go to" for yellow cakes. It was still super yummy and moist on my 2nd day, so that was good news. I havent checked on my refrigerated or frozen one yet.

JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #19 of 65

I'm not sure if the folding in of the egg whites makes the top edge shrink but mine does that everytime as well. I would be interested in knowing if putting the whole egg in makes a difference too!

springlakecake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #20 of 65

I have been trying to look all around the internet for the answer, but I can't find anything!

springlakecake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #21 of 65

http://video.about.com/gourmetfood/Fold-Egg-Whites-Into-Batter.htm

I found this good video about folding egg whites into batter. Just thought it was informative!

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #22 of 65

I was actually looking for a video on youtube about folding egg whites in and couldn't find one, and I'm baking the SW yellow cake right now so I came back to read old saved threads about it and saw your link! What a coincidence icon_razz.gif TY!

springlakecake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #23 of 65

I don't know if it is a coincidence, but I folded them in like the video the next time I made the cake and I didnt have the shrinkage problem.

JaeRodriguez Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:10pm
post #24 of 65

ohhhh I wish WISH I would have looked at that video before I stuck them in the oven because I still got the shrinkage, one of them shrank around the top more then the bottom so the sides are wider at the bottom :[ I wonder if that would have stopped it!

springlakecake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #25 of 65

I only found reference to folding in egg whites as the problem for that once place on this site. So I really don't know if it is true or not. I looked all over the internet to solve the problem, but I didnt come up with any other answers. But the first time I made the cake that is exactly what happened. I made it twice after that (folding the egg whites in like the video) and it didn't happen. However, I think I used a sheet cake and a square pan. I don't know if that made the difference though.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #26 of 65

I love her original recipe and use it exclusivly for my vanilla cake but I too have major shrinkage with it. The top shrinks a lot more than the bottom. It bakes up beautifully and once out of the oven the shrinkage begans. I email Sylvia and she suggested baking at 300 deg. (I use a convection oven) and it still shrinks up!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #27 of 65

I have her first book and always use her yellow cake recipe. Next time I make a cake, I will try adding milk .... maybe not a whole cup though.

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #28 of 65

I'm a fan of this recipe, also. Thanks for the youtube link!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #29 of 65

Can someone please post or send link to the original recipe?!?! please... I have been wanting to try her recipe and I want to do it this weekend... thanks so much

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:30pm
post #30 of 65

The OP said the new recipe calls for "an additional cup of milk." I've never made this cake, so looked up the recipe online. The one I found doesn't call for milk at all. So I'm wondering, does the new recipe simply call for a cup of milk instead of an additional cup? ("Additional" makes me think the original recipe called for a cup of milk and the new recipe calls for a second cup.) Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%