What Do You Roll Your Fondant Out On To Make It Smooth?

Decorating By GARY Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm by Mug-a-Bug

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:55am
post #1 of 16

Hi...just wondering what everyone uses to roll their fondant out on?
Mine doesn't seem to be getting as smooth as I'd like. I'm using a wooden rolling pin, could that be putting indentations in the fondant? Help!-Gina

15 replies
zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:06am
post #2 of 16

I buy sheets of plastic at Walmart in the fabric section, lightly grease with crisco. After you roll it out you lift the plastic sheet up and flip the fondant onto your cake then gently remove the plastic. Smooth as can be, dust the surface of your fondant with cornstarch and smooth it on to your cake surfaces. As far as the rolling pin if yours is old and well used you might need to replace it, you can even use PVC pipe as a rolling pin.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:07am
post #3 of 16

Hi Gina,

I roll mine between two sheets of clear plastic....you can get it at Walmart in the fabric section....I use the medium weight. I like it because I can just peel off the top sheet of plastic...flip it over and Imake sure it's all the way to the board on the back of the cake, then I start peeling the edge closest to me and once you get it going it peels itself the rest of the way. Takes a little practice but after one or two cakes you'll have the hang of it....you don't need any shortening or powdered sugar or cornstarch on the plastic either.

Good luck and warmest regards,
LuAnn

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:17am
post #4 of 16

Are these plastic sheets disposable? I'm curious to check these out.

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:30am
post #5 of 16

I've got a 2" diameter solid plastic rolling pin the other day. It is perfectly smooth and doesn't have any handles, just rounded at the ends. I wish I had known about the PVC pipe idea. That would have saved me some $$!

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:42am
post #6 of 16

I believe it was in one of my Winbeckler books to use just plain medium weight vinyl. I bought it at Joanns and cut the size I wanted. It works great! I also use the large fondant rolling pin made by Wilton.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:20am
post #7 of 16

i roll mine out between two large plastic cutting board sheets. they are fexible and HUGE. I found them at a kitchen supply store and they were only 4.99 for the set of two. I believe they are like 24"x28 or 30". I was glad I gave them a try for my fondant. I was quite surprised at how well they worked. icon_surprised.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 16

Monet, I just wash them off with hot water and dish soap, let them dry and roll them up for storage. You buy this plastic by the yard so you can cut your sheets to the size that works best for you. After a few times I discard them and use new ones. There will be smaller pieces that I use for doing small things like gumpaste work.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 16

I roll mine out onto the blue ateco fondant mat. It cost about $35 but well worth it. I just peel off the mat and my fondant is perfectly smooth. I tried the fabric vinyl but it didn't work for me because it kept sticking. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 16

Hi, I have only done a few fondant covered cakes, but I have taken a class with Nicholas Lodge. He demonstrated to roll the fondant with a rolling whatever size and to use the fondant smoothing tool. Using a circular motion on the fondant with the smoothing tool. You do this before placing on the cake and it also gives a sheen to the fondant and takes out any marks you may have made with your rolling pin.

Hope that helps. Beenie 51

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 16

Lots of great tips!

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 16

I like using silicone baking mats. I tried the Wilton fondant rolling mat but it slid on the counter. With the silicone mats they stay put while you're rolling, they're completely non-stick without needing sugar, corn starch or shortening, and they're completely smooth.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 16

I also use the blue Ateco silicone mat. I use it for a lot of decorating and it was worth the investment.

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks so much for all the great tips!!!-Gina

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 16

To keep your mat from sliding around - wipe the counter where it will be with a wet cloth (wetter than if you are just wiping the counter off) the vinyl mat will stick without slipping at all then.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #16 of 16

Ooooooooh. Great tip! ^^

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%