Filling Help

Baking By gracesmama Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 11:15am by mellee

gracesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracesmama Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

I am new to filling cupcakes - I've only done it once before and I'm still not sure what consistency to use so it doesn't soak into the cupcake if sitting for a day or two. I was thinking pudding or possibly Cool Whip or a combination of the two or just a plain mousse. Would any of these work?

Also, when I did them last time, I ended up filling most of them too much and they cracked down the top (used the bismark tip). I found that I didn't know when I had enough in there and I didn't want them to not have enough filling. Any tips?

Thanks and I apologize if these questions are already covered somewhere.

5 replies
JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:41am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracesmama

I am new to filling cupcakes - I've only done it once before and I'm still not sure what consistency to use so it doesn't soak into the cupcake if sitting for a day or two. I was thinking pudding or possibly Cool Whip or a combination of the two or just a plain mousse. Would any of these work?

Also, when I did them last time, I ended up filling most of them too much and they cracked down the top (used the bismark tip). I found that I didn't know when I had enough in there and I didn't want them to not have enough filling. Any tips?

Thanks and I apologize if these questions are already covered somewhere.

Whimsical bakehouse says she uses real whipped cream stabilized with some PS and then whatever flavorings.

In another book it had, what I thought was a great suggestion. Instead of using the bismark tube you can use a large star piping tip and use it to rout out a hole, fill it will your filling and top with frosting. You aren't going to see the hole anyway if it's frosting and it will help from busting.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 6

pudding and fruit fillings will soak into the cupcake after a couple days.

some people swear by using an apple corer and removing a central "core" of the cupcake and then fill that with filling, some will use just the top of the "cored piece" and replace it on top, others just swirl the icing up there because nobody will know the difference when they eat it. That way, you can see exactlly how much filling you've got going in there!

gracesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracesmama Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 4:50am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the help! I think I'll try the apple corer technique.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:31am
post #5 of 6

I like to make chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese filling. I also use a large star tip. Make sure the cupcakes are totally cooled. Just stick the star tip in the top of the cupcake and squeeze until you see the cupcake just starting to expand. No need to remove any of the cupcake. Put a swirl of whatever kind of icing you want on top.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 11:15am
post #6 of 6

I do the apple corer thing and it works great. I also put the top of the cored piece back on, especially if the filling is very different from the frosting. KHalstead is right that pudding will soak into the cupcake after a couple of days. A nice thick ganache or caramel is a great filling!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%