$#@! Sinus Infection

Lounge By tsal Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm by ladyellam

tsal Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I posted a few days ago about going to get a second opinion for my suspected sinus infection (which did turn out to be a sinus infection as I had suspected).

Anyway, I've been on antibiotics for 6 days now, and I'm still suffering with headaches/sinus pressure and pain during the day. It's really weird because every evening, I think that I've turned the corner on it, but when I wake up in the morning, I've got this horrible exhausted feeling, I start blowing my nose a million times, and then the other symptoms come.

I'm now wondering if I should go back to the doctor, or wait until I've completed the whole course of antibiotics. My understanding is that, usually, you start feeling better between 48 - 72 hours of taking the first dose of meds. I'm on Day 6 and still am experiencing substantial symptoms. I've never had anything like this before.

I have 3 kids under the age of 5, so I really can't afford to be exhausted-cranky mommy.

Ugh.

4 replies
JanH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:41am
post #2 of 5

The medication for the infection, doesn't necessarily treat the common systems of sinus congestions which you described.

You can be infecton free, but still suffer from sinus pressure and headaches - which would require a different medication to treat (either prescription or over the counter).

HTH

ziggytarheel Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 11:58am
post #3 of 5

Have you tried steam? You fill a sink (or another container) with steaming hot water, lean your head over the steam, and drape a towel around your head to help you inhale the steam. Of course, be careful. icon_smile.gif

In utter desperation a few months ago, I googled other solutions. I tried something that worked for me, but I caution you that if you try it, you must be careful and it will be very unpleasant. In a large Pyrex measuring cup, I made a solution of half water and half apple cider vinegar. I brought it to a boil in the microwave and then held my head over it, with a towel again draped over my head. Close your eyes and mouth and inhale a few times. Again, I warn you, this is highly unpleasant and quite difficult to do. After somehow managing to do this a few times, I then would inhale water only steam to clear away any caustic residue.

BUT, this worked for me. Take great care if you try it yourself.

JanH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 5

For a home remedy, nasal irrigation or lavage might work for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

HTH

ladyellam Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 5

You can also take a heavy weight sock and fill it with either rice or small beans 1/2-3/4 full and microwave it for 10 seconds. Check the sock to make sure it's not too hot and then place it over the bridge of your nose and cheekbones. You can also use a heating pad and just wrap it in a towel.

This has helped me a lot of times and I hope it helps you too.

Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%