I'm About To Get My Braces Tightened...a Lightbulb Went Off

Decorating By jenng1482 Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 7:26pm by nanikins

jenng1482 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #1 of 22

I have seen so many forums about wires in cakes and how to ensure they are foodsafe. What about the wires that orthodontists use on braces? There are obviously safe or I wouldn't be able to keep it in my mouth 24/7. They are about 4 inches long and come in different gauges. What do you think?

21 replies
tsal Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #2 of 22

I got my braces off a year ago! icon_smile.gif

You bring up a good point. I think it's about the chemical reaction to the icing - I remember someone here posting that any wire may discolor icing, and even if it is food-safe, that's the last thing you'd want.

I think the orthodontic wires are stainless steel, if I can recall correctly, but how expensive are they and where would you get them?

jenng1482 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:09am
post #3 of 22

Mine cost right around $3000!

all4cake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #4 of 22

the wires cost $3000???? or your braces???

jenng1482 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 22

Full orthodontic work! And I got off cheap because I work for a dental insurance company. I see many cases well over $6000. I will check with the dr about the wires next week when I'm in

KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 22

lol..........we should start a thread that's like those "if you do THIS, you might be a redneck"

If you get your wires for your gumpaste add ons from your orthodontist.............. you might be a cake decorator!

If you look at kleenex boxes for cake designs..............you might be a cake decorator!

LOL

cakelady31 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 22

KHalstead too funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

all4cake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 22

If you buy papertowels to emboss your buttercream...youuuuuu might be a redneck

KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 22

lol

If you buy a 6ft. length of pvc pipe for $3, so you can cut it into 18 rolling pins..............youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu might be a redneck!

EvMarie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 22

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KHalstead Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 22

sorry OP, didn't mean to jack your thread.

From what I can see braces use "surgical steel" for the braces.....and there are actually places that will sell it...........seems to be the same metal used for body piercings as well.

ttehan4 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 22

If you color your cake with vodak you might be a redneck!!! lol

TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 22

KH, I love it, though it should be "... you might be a cake addict."

To the OP, from my limited experince with gumpaste flowers you have to wrap the wires with floral tape to help adhear your gumpaste to it. So even if you were using the surgical steel and it was safe to be in your mouth, if you used the floral tape it's still be covered in something you wouldn't want to just stick in a cake. I also think that it isn't just sticking wires in a cake, but also the fact that the moisture of the cake against the wire may cause some chemical reactions, may not be harmful, but might not be pretty when cut either..

Even if it wasn't expensive to use, I think I'd still use a straw or the other options when sticking wire, even 'safe' wire, in a cake. From what I understand the straws help support it as well.

all4cake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:19am
post #14 of 22

I didn't mean to say redneck...just when I was typing, he came to mind and redneck came off my fingers icon_redface.gif

Stainless steel, surgical stainless, and some others would have to remain embedded in a moist cake for an incredibly long time before breakdown began....I don't know of any cake that stays moist long enough for that to happen to those metals. Tin and steel, reactive breakdown begins almost instantly. Aluminum can withstand moisture for a long period of time...salt and acids that may come in contact with it are its' main source of breakdown.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:35am
post #15 of 22

I will have to remember to ask my orthodontist when I see him on the 17th - then hopefully I'll remember this thread to give a report.

paulstonia Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #16 of 22

if you steal your kids playdo toys (only the new ones, with no kiddie germs on them,lol) for fondant, you might be a caker.

SandiOh Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #17 of 22

you have moisture/salt/bacteria in your mouth. doesn't affect the braces. would be no different in a cake.

jenng1482 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #18 of 22

OK - back on topic! Love the other spin-off thread though! I just left the ortho office. They gave me a catelog and said they would be happy to order for me. I can get a tube of 10 pieces of stainless surgical steel 14" inches long each in a ton of different gauges for $2.09 each tube. Sounds like i might have to give it a try.

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:08pm
post #19 of 22

that is so awesome!!! did they think you were a "crazy cake lady" ??? lol I love it!!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 22

WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Why didn't I think of that (I've been working for dentists and orthodontists forever). Those arch-wires can be really hard to bend (they tend to 'spring' back, I think that's the point). If you want finer wire, look for ligature ties. I'm pretty sure all that stuff is just stainless steel, I'm sure any stainless steel wire is going to be food safe.

**If you shop at Home Depot for cake tools, you might be a redneck icon_lol.gif

adamsgama Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 22

Try this
You know you're a cake decorator when.

10. You hear about a party or wedding and your first thought is "I wonder who is doing the cake?"

9. When it is too hot/cold/rainy to go out, you make a cake.

8. You are online by 9am every Monday morning to see what updates there are on the Wilton forum.

7. You have 5 or more bags of powdered sugar in your pantry.

6. You can list 4 or more flavours of cake without stopping to think about it.

5. You know the difference between a shell, reverse shell, and ruffle.

4. Your mixer gets more use than your TV or treadmill.

3. You think the new trans fat free shortening is a bad thing

2. You judge your best friend harshly because you saw a can of store-bought frosting in her refrigerator.

And the number one reason you know you're a cake decorator is..

1. You would rather get something by Wilton than Tiffany for your birthday/Christmas/or Anniversary.

Sue

nanikins Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:26pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

If you buy a 6ft. length of pvc pipe for $3, so you can cut it into 18 rolling pins..............youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu might be a redneck!

That's on hubby's hunny-do list this weekend! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%