Holy Streaky Chocolate Smbc, Batman!!!!!!!!!!

Baking By tsal Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 1:26am by tsal

tsal Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 4

I made chocolate SMBC tonight. I tasted it after adding 1/3 cup of melted dark chocolate to the regular SMBC recipe and it didn't taste chocolatey enough. So, I added another 1/4 cup or so of dark chocolate. I still wasn't happy with the light brown color, so I added in a couple of drops of dark brown gel color. It didn't help much so I just accepted that light brown must be the color of chocolate buttercream.

It was SUPER soft - never before had my SMBC turned out to that consistency, could adding lots of chocolate have changed the consistency? It firmed up in the fridge, but after only a few minutes of being out, it got soft again.

Anyway, when I took a hot spatula to the buttercream after it had crusted in the fridge (this is my usual technique), it took on this horrible, mottled appearance. It really was disastrous, but the cake was just a practice cake, so luckily, there was no stress. I still decorated it a little (although it's a half-assed job since the b/c it is so ugly)!

Can someone please tell me why this happened and how I can avoid it? Was it the gel color that I added?

3 replies
tsal Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 11:17am
post #2 of 4

Nobody has any theories?

After dissecting my procedure thoroughly, I think I may know what went wrong.

Sherry1030 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 4

Just posted this on another thread.. had the same thing happen to my chocolate smbc over the weekend, it was very runny. I thought it was because I added the chocolate with the vanilla instead of adding it at the end. I had left the butter out overnight to soften, maybe it was too soft and adding it to the warm egg/sugar mix melted it? I put it in the fridge and it still stayed like whipped cream. Tasted great, but didn't hold up so well! I had made the regular smbc the weekend before and it was perfect, not sure what made the difference..
Great job getting it so smooth!

tsal Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 4

I think that maybe my spatula was *too* hot. Perhaps the butter melted and caused some streaking. I remember reading on CC that the spatula is supposed to be really hot, and the butter is supposed to melt a little, but maybe not as hot as I had it (I had a cup of really hot (not boiling) water that I kept dipping my spatula into and wiping off before smoothing). My buttercream looked flawlessly smooth - although you'd never guess because of the color issues. It was really smooth!

The other wild card is the brown food coloring I added. I'm thinking that it had something to do with it as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%