What Gauge Wire Do I Need??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm by monet1895

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 6

Hi all!

I am doing a test run on some Floral Wire. I have a cake in a few weeks and I want to have White covered wire with gumpaste balls attached to the ends coming out of the cake. I have seen countless cakes like this on this site.

I bought 32 gauge wire and it is waaaay to flimsy. The weight of a small ball droops the entire wire over.

What gauge will be strong enough to hold up any gp or fondant decor.??

Will 22 gauge be strong enough??

5 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:09am
post #2 of 6

I think you're going to have to go with at least a 20 guage. That is what has been recommended on here.

I tried a 24 and it was waay too floppy. I wanted it to flop a little, so I tried again and the 20 was perfect. If you want it to stand straight, use the 18. You could paint white chocolate onto the wire, as I haven't seen white floral wire. You could also put it through a lollipop stick. You have to put it through something anyway, as it cannot have direct contact with the cake. Have fun!

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #3 of 6

Cakesrock what do you put your wires in to prevent contact w/ the cake? Does painting w/ white chocolate do the trick?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 6

Hi,

No, choc alone would not suffice, as it can flake/break off and make contact with the cake.

You have to either put the wires through a straw or lollipop stick. Depending on how you want it to look, you can either put a number into a thicker straw and pour white choc or RI to hardern inside the straw, if you want a boquet look. Or you could put each one in a coffee stirrer type straw and spread them out over the cake. HTH!

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with Cakesrock - I use 20 gauge fabric covered wire - and insert them in "cofffe stirs" cut to length. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%