Icing Tip Question

Baking By sweetcreationsbykimberly Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm by TexasSugar

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 5

The other day I was icing some cookies and doing some outlines. I went to use a #1 tip and the icing (RI) wanted to curl. I was looking today on Karen's Cookies and found this http://www.karenscookies.net/PME-Supatube-No-0_p_1294.html It does come in other sizes too. Has anyone used this brand and does it really make a difference?http://www.karenscookies.net/PME-Supatube-No-0_p_1294.html

4 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:53am
post #2 of 5

Holy cow, that's quite pricey. Would that be the same as the #1 tip from Wilton? If i remember correctly, there is a PME 0 tip as well.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, they are pricey, but boy, what a difference! I use my PME 0 and 00's for my detailing and just love them! I picked up a 1.5 just to try it and was so very pleased. The seamless aspect seems to be the key. I picked up a 1 to try and based upon what I saw with the 1.5, I expect to see a difference between it and the Wilton. I do know that those who do a lot of stringwork swear by PME to prevent curling. They are an investment though, but I could not do my detailing without my 0 and 00's. I have lived though with my normal Wilton 1's for some time though. You might want to try a tad more liquid in your RI and pulling back on the pressure as that can help with the curling aspect. Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with TracyLH!! The difference is AMAZING, especially if you do a lot of small writing and/or detail work.

Also, are you using some type of sieve on your icing before using it? I find that running it through a mesh colander before using it helps immensely with consistency. (I've heard that some people use new, clean knee high panty hose as well)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 5

Are you saying the icing wanted to curl as it came out of the tip? Look at your tip to see if it is still round. If the opening gets dented in a little it will cause the icing to curl when you pipe with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%