Client Got A Quote For What?????!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By tavyheather Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 6:42am by Lorieann55

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #1 of 30

I feel picked apart...spent more than worth the amount of time doing a consultation and now client is putting me through the ringer...apparently got a quote for 150 cupcakes for $380, and wants me to do 200 for $380...then she had the audacity to tell me she recv'd a quote for a small topper cake for cutting for $16????!!! I am shaking I can't believe it! In LA no less...she is either completely lying or is totally misunderstanding the quote she got...I need to just state my priced from the get-go. Yikes. Thanks for letting me vent.

29 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:42am
post #2 of 30

She's just doing her best to get you to drop your price - stick to your own price - don't let her pressure you.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:43am
post #3 of 30

Tell her "That is great. I totally understand going with them."

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 30

Wish her well...I had a bride ask me last week if I price matched? Uh no, I'm not Wally World!

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #5 of 30

NEVER, sell yourself short! Stick to your guns and keep your price FIRM. If you don't keep this cilent, don't worry, there will be others! Now go out there and put all your frustrations into kneading that fondant! icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:52am
post #6 of 30

thanks all icon_smile.gif

Have u all ever heard of such a price?! Of course I feel fine with saying, great, I hope they make you a wonderful cake! And leave it at that...but really what I want to say is that there is no way in the WORLD anyone would do it for that price! That wouldn't even cover materials............

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:52am
post #7 of 30

i would say to her wow, thats great pricing - i hope everything works out great for your day and thanks for letting me know so i can keep the day clear for another booking

tavyheather Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

Wish her well...I had a bride ask me last week if I price matched? Uh no, I'm not Wally World!

hahahahha...

and btw, you're the only other person besides me who calls Wal Mart Wally World! Great minds think alike!! icon_wink.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:54am
post #9 of 30

Ditto:

She wants a good deal, thats it. Shes going to be a PITA so just blow her off

tavyheather Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #10 of 30

I told her I was blown away and asked where she got the quote, she attached a Kings Hawaiian Bakery diagram that said a one tier 6" is $16...she confirmed it with the bakery and they said it would be $22 (with filling) oh joy.

Wow this was complete waste of time

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:20am
post #11 of 30
Quote:

Tell them "Yes however I only price match Charm City Cakes though, so once you get your qoute from them I will be happy to match their price"

tavyheather Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:50am
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Quote:

Tell them "Yes however I only price match Charm City Cakes though, so once you get your qoute from them I will be happy to match their price"

hahahaha...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:21am
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Quote:

hahahahha...

and btw, you're the only other person besides me who calls Wal Mart Wally World!

That's funny becasue pretty much everyone I know refers to it as Wally World! It's really pretty common. icon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:00am
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Quote:

hahahahha...

and btw, you're the only other person besides me who calls Wal Mart Wally World!

That's funny becasue pretty much everyone I know refers to it as Wally World! It's really pretty common. icon_biggrin.gif

seriously?! It must be a regional thing..I'm in So Cal...and I thought I was so original! icon_wink.gif dang it!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:09am
post #15 of 30

Yep.

Here in OH, we shop at Wally World and "Tar-zsh-ay" (Target). icon_lol.gif

Rae

tavyheather Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:11am
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Yep.

Here in OH, we shop at Wally World and "Tar-zsh-ay" (Target). icon_lol.gif

Rae

hahaha wow you midlanders are so cultured icon_wink.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:18am
post #17 of 30

Here in okie land we call them Wally World and "tarzshay"!! It must be regional icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:00am
post #18 of 30

so far the "regional" thing is stretching from Ohio to California. Any east coasters or southerners want to ring in on this one? icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:07am
post #19 of 30

SO THIS IS HER RESPONSE TO MY oops caps...to my polite "NO" email:

"Thank you for your time.. We have gone to other bakeries and they do free consultation and free tasting as well.

If it is to much trouble for you then I will go ahead and look some where else. Sorry for your trouble and your time.

best regards, _______"

Wow, free 4 hours of consultation and emailing? wow, I am sooo glad I don't have to deal with her for the next year!!!

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:20am
post #20 of 30

We say "Wally World" and "Tar-zsh-ay" here in Alabama also!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:30am
post #21 of 30

Long Island, New York here, I don't know about Wally World, but definitely it is only referred to as Tar-Jay! Love it!

tavyheather Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:34am
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Long Island, New York here, I don't know about Wally World, but definitely it is only referred to as Tar-Jay! Love it!

Nice! was born in Riverhead, lived a year in Aquebogue. Family in Greenlawn and Montoque. sp??? I envy you! Maybe just during the Fall.. icon_wink.gif

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:46am
post #23 of 30

Never heard of it until now.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:48am
post #24 of 30

tavyheather, I have family in Greenlawn too! I grew up in E. Northport.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:50am
post #25 of 30

NC here and we say Wally World also and Tarje' (however you want to spell it)

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:53am
post #26 of 30

We call it "Tar-szay" here in Oz too icon_smile.gif

tavyheather Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:00am
post #27 of 30
Quote:

tavyheather, I have family in Greenlawn too! I grew up in E. Northport.

sounds familiar! Greenlawn is soo gorgeous...

Bet you're excited for Spring!! So beautiful out there!!!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:18am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

We call it "Tar-szay" here in Oz too icon_smile.gif

i wish we had walmart... BigW just doesnt cut it

and i cant wait until we get our first Costco in Sydney!

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:40am
post #29 of 30

NYC ringing in...I call it Wally World...but then again, I went to college in Tulsa...right across the street from Wally...oh the memories!! icon_lol.gif

I'm cracking up at this post b/c I am literally in the middle of writing an email to my brother's friend who I think is going into sticker shock b/c of a price quote I gave him on 100 cupcakes. He asked if my price was firm and I told him that he's honestly getting a good deal b/c if he were going with a custom cupcake tower or a custom cake it would probably be at least double the cost (and probably a bit over that). I then happily told him to look at my website to see my work if he had any qualms about it.

I really don't make much on cupcakes but he's a friend so it's no biggie but seriously...I AM NOT COSTCO (I should put that on a t-shirt)

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:42am
post #30 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

Nice! was born in Riverhead, lived a year in Aquebogue. Family in Greenlawn and Montoque. sp??? I envy you! Maybe just during the Fall.. icon_wink.gif

Okay, now you all are making me homesick! icon_cry.gif
I was born in New Rochelle, grew up in Peekskill (both north of NYC) and have family on Long Island in Massapequa Park. My mother would have lived on Jones Beach if they let her! Oh, how I miss New York! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%