Greasy Looking Icing!

Baking By ChRiStY_71 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 9:48am by JanH

ChRiStY_71 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #1 of 5

The last couple of batches of icing that I have made have had a greasy look to it. I have used Crisco and a store brand shortening that I thought would have a higher ratio (can't get Hi-Ratio shortening locally) and I have used both butter and margarine. My hands also seemed to melt the icing in the piping bags as I was decorating and my borders just didn't look as good as I wanted them to. I used a crusting buttercream recipe. Any suggestions??

4 replies
tesso Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:30am
post #2 of 5

i had that happen to me once and i had to put more powdered sugar in and it helped. maybe give that a try. I also had to mix in KA for about 10 minutes to get it to blend right.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #3 of 5

I had this happen to me over the weekend and I actually attributed it to over-mixing. When I made the icing it really was too thin so I had to add powdered sugar and mix it up real well. I also had to mix a lot because I was making a dark pink and a dark purple and it took lots of additions of coloring to achieve the colors I was going for. It really was weird. After I put the icing on the cake and let it crust, I could run my finger over the icing and I would have a greasy spot on my finger and the icing looked sort of shiney on the cake! Like it was oozing grease. Gross! I'm not sure if I am correct in my assumption but it was the same recipe I always use and the over-mixing was really the only difference.
Oh, and my hands always melt my icing if I hold it in my piping bag for too long. I guess just from the heat.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #4 of 5

I don't think you can over mix. The only time I ever get greasy icing is if I don't mix long enough. Mix on high for about 5 mins or so. HTH icon_lol.gif

JanH Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:48am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiStY_71

I have used Crisco and a store brand shortening that I thought would have a higher ratio (can't get Hi-Ratio shortening locally)

All shortening is 100% fat.

Hi ratio shortening comes in different versions: with and without trans fat.

AP shortening (like Crisco) also come in different versions: with and without trans fat.

Trans fat IS NOT what make a hi-ratio shortening different than an AP shortening. Rather it's the amount of emulsifiers in the forumulas - and no AP shortening can compare to hi-ratio cake & icing shortening (Sweetex) or icing shortening (Alpine).

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%