Recipe Advice Needed

Baking By SunshineSally Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 5:44am by SunshineSally

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 8

I'm new to all of this and I kept hearing about WASC cake so I figured I'd give it a try. I used the recipe on here that is called the Original WASC recipe. I used a yellow DH box mix for the base and added all the other ingredients according to the recipe. The recipe called for 1 tbsp of flavoring so I used 1/2 almond and 1/2 vanilla. The cake baked beautifully and smelled wonderful. It had the perfect amount of moisture and a good crumb. My husband said it tasted like there was an alcohol aftertaste though. Tasted like wedding cake to me. Anyway, should I cut back the amount of flavor from 1 tbsp? or should I not mix the 2 flavors? Any advice would be welcome!

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 8

That is the amount I use, and the flavors I use too, and it is my biggest selling cake flavor. It may just be him that tastes the alcohol??

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 8

Could your flavorings be bad? WASC is very popular with my clients and I have never heard that complaint

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 8

Some of the people I work with just don't like anything with almond extract - so I don't use it.

SunshineSally Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:43am
post #5 of 8

brand new flavorings but it could be the almond flavor that he just wasn't used to. I had never baked with almond before. So, do all of you use a complete Tbsp of a single flavor or do you have any suggestions for combos?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:54am
post #6 of 8

Yep, I'd bet it was the almond. I never use it, we don't like it. I use either just vanilla or with a tiny bit of butter flavor.

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:04am
post #7 of 8

Almond is strong. I literally use just a couple of drops, and the rest is vanilla and butter flavoring.

SunshineSally Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:44am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the tips ya'll! Can't wait to try it again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%