To All The Wasc Pros!

Baking By leigh220 Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm by UNLVRebelMom

leigh220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leigh220 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 12

I want to bake a marble cake and wanted to use the WASC recipe, but had a few questions. Should I start with a white or yellow cake? I'm going to omit the almond favoring so should I go all butter, vanilla or a combo of both? Also I am wondering if I should make the chocolate version or set aside some batter and add melted chocolate to it for the swirls? I want it be be 2/3 white 1/3 chocolate. I welcome any ideas, comments or suggestions. Thank you!!!

11 replies
sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 12

I just did this last week. I used yellow cake mix and vanilla flavoring. chocolate mix. I use the WASC recipe for all my cakes. I put the yellow mix in first then dollops of chocolate on top and swirled together. HTH

impala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impala Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 12

off topic but a WASC question if I do not want to use egg white for the white WASC since I don't need it to be white how many eggs would i use for instead of the 8 egg whites....

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 12

Duncin Hines makes a marble cake mix so I just use that, but I still follow the WASC recipe. The box says to reserve some of the yellow cake batter because it comes with a packet of chocolate to mix it with (this makes the swirl) I just reserve a little extra because the WASC batter is more! HTH

impala Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 12

Oh yes I was going to say the same about the DH marble mix. I have done it and works great.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 12

impala - use 6 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites

impala Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 12

thank you so much for the response.

leigh220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leigh220 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks guys for answering all my questions. I have a pretty large cake to do so I'm going to try out the white and chocolate.

UNLVRebelMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UNLVRebelMom Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 12

This is such a silly question but it's driving me nuts. Every WASC calls for pudding in the recipe, and make a zillion cakes a year, so I buy in bulk when they go on sale, and I have searched in vain for a cake mix that does not have pudding already in the mix. So is the pudding in the recipe in addition to what's in the cake mix already, or do I omit it if I am using a mix that already has pudding in it. I have tried a WASC a couple of times with less than stellar results and I am a fairly accomplished baker and I am wondering if this is the X factor that is messing up my results. My cakes are always crumbly and fall apart. And since I have about 6 cases of cake mixes that I'd like to use for some more ambitious projects, is there an adjustment I need to make, or is pudding in the cake mix just assumed and I am blowing brain cells over thinking this. I have a end of the year cheer banquet tomorrow, and I want to make 2 half sphere pom cakes and a bunch of little ones with each one of the squads names on them.. Nothing too complex, yellow and chocolate, but I would like a cake that doesn't fall apart. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 12

The two WASC recipes posted here (one with oil and one without) don't call for pudding. I find if I add pudding to a mix that already has pudding in it I get a fudgy texture instead of a cake texture. This was a big problem for me with chocolate. I don't have the problem when I do white wasc and I often add white chocolate pudding to that one. Are you using a small box of pudding.

I love the wasc recipe and did it forever without pudding. I only add pudding if I want the extra flavor. Hope that helps.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 12:45am
post #11 of 12

''''''''''WASC calls for pudding in the recipe''''''''''''
'''''''''do not want to use egg white .....don't need it to be white how many eggs would i use .............
My *Original* WASC recipe does NOT use added pudding in it. I have, over the yrs, used each of the 3 major brands w/o probvlems.

Also, someone asked about using whole eggs instead of just the whites -
Again, my *Original* recipe uses whole eggs and makes smaller batches.

UNLVRebelMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UNLVRebelMom Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much for the replies to my question about the pudding in the cake mix thing. I was adding it as that was the X factor in the less than successful cake attempts. With that solved, My daughter kindly reminded me the night before her end of the year cheer banquet that she had nominated me for the dessert/theme centerpiece for the next night, and THOUGHT she told me...17 what can you expect. So I am looking in my fridge and I have no sour cream, or yogurt to do a WASC, but no time to go to the store since she told me this at 9:00pm thank you, so desperation is the mother of invention and I substituted for the sour cream 1 stick of butter 1/2 C to approx the same in softened cream cheese. ( it was all I had in the fridge.) I figured it might make it a little denser because of the fat content, but the flavor of the cream cheese would be closer to the sour cream. Oh my gosh... talk about a home run. They were perfect. Nice and dense so they didn't fall apart when I decorated them (I went with two sphere pans, and then the rest choc. and yellow cupcakes) semi froze them, crumb coated them, back into the freezer, then iced and decorated them and they were awesome. Just one note, I cooked them at 350, but since I was doing so many different pan sizes, I can only approximate on the baking time. Just watch them closely at the end and don't over bake them. I had Moms carting the extras away, raving about them. Again thanks for all your input and help. It's much appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%