Michelle Foster's Fondant Recipe Question...

Baking By jhay Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 12:22pm by jhay

jhay Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

I made this the other day and it tasted great! I put Lorrann's Butter Vanilla flavoring in there....freaking awesome!

My problem was that after letting it sit, covered in saran wrap, overnight, it became really dry and brittle (sp?). I couldn't put enough crisco in it to get it moist enough to roll out properly. It kept cracking.

I used the 3 1/2 lbs of powdered sugar that it called for, but I know that can vary...was it that I had too much ps in there? Anyone have similar experiences?

6 replies
artscallion Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like too much PS, maybe. Did you let the heated mixture cool to luke warm before adding the PS? If it's not all the way to luke warm it will take more PS than it really needs. Then when it's set, the mixture will be too stiff. Conversely, if you let it cool much past luke warm, it will take less PS than it needs and will end up being too loose after it sets (of course that's a much easier problem to fix)

BTW for those who are not sure exactly what luke warm means in culinary terms, it is just above human body temp, so that it just barely feels warm to the touch. technically, it should be about 105°F. I use an instant read thermometer when making MFF to make sure.

artscallion Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 7

PS - Yours may be too far gone. But did you try nuking it a bit to soften it up? Sometimes, when my MFF is a little stiff, I nuke it, 10 seconds at a time, until it softens. But you have to be careful with that, because if it's too stiff, it'll only firm up again once it's on your cake. ANd you don't want it cracking and looking dry then.

jhay Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the info. I will definitly try again! I will pay more attention to the temperature of the liquids for sure this time. Hopefully it will look as good as it tasted!

ibmoser Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 7

One other possibility is that you did not knead it sufficiently before trying to roll it out. It must be kneaded very well first. When warmed and softened by kneading, it should stretch gently between your hands, not crumble and break. Just like creaming butter and sugar, it takes some time and action icon_lol.gif . It took me a couple of batches to realize how much difference kneading can make with that recipe icon_redface.gif .

Sugarflowers Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 7

Try kneading in a bit more glycerin. Work in small batches to make it less of a work out. I have also included a link to some information that I wrote to help deal with fondant.

Don't give up yet. All things take practice and patience. If we could all get things right the first time then there would be no need for teachers, forums, classes, books, DVDs etc.

jhay Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone! Michele, I read your post and it answered every question that I had...and even ones that I hadn't had but probably will have later this week. icon_lol.gif

Thanks for giving me the link to your OP, you're awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%