Are You Responsible For The Plates With The Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Kandykin Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 7:06am by tonedna

Kandykin Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 13

This is my 1st wedding cake order and the bride wanted to know if my price included plates too. I'm charging $3.00/serving for a 3 tier bc with fondant accents, filled with raspberry filling.

I see people charging for set up and delivery seperately. I didn't because I want to set it up myself as I'm not sure how the cake would travel once assembled. I didn't want them to pick up the cake to avoid the delivery and set up charges.

So... does the price have to include the plates too? I have already given a 20% discount on the total because I feel they are taking a chance on me on their special day.

I know I do neat work and have been making cakes for over 15 years - I'm confident that I can make the cake. Recently I succumbed to years of pressure from family and friends to do it professionally. But clueless about the business part of it, so any help would be much appreciated. TYIA

12 replies
tarheelgirl Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 13

What particular plates are you speaking of? The cake plate/plateau that the wedding cake may sit on? The bride is responsible for renting that from the venue or an outside source. I also rent those out as well and charge a refundable deposit once it has been returned. Or the SPS plates that each cake is assembled on? For those I charge an equipment charge. Those plates are disposable and I never pick up.

I just re-read after posting .. are you talking about actual eating plates? Heck no they are responsible for those! icon_biggrin.gif

diane706 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

Heck no

Ditto!! icon_lol.gif

cakesdivine Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 13

The caterer or the bride themselves is responsible for providing the plates for the cake.

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 13

Heck no! I've never, ever heard of the decorator providing the plates to eat off of. Tell her sure, 200 plates for $250.

leah_s Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 13

Absolutely not.

Kandykin Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #7 of 13

Thought so myself...he he
Not listening to my DH again about cake business!
He makes me second guess myself - Heck if it was up to him, I'd be giving it away for nothing!

By the way, the wedding cake is for one of his friends, so he feels he needs to be involved (because he doesn't want to "sour" his friendship icon_smile.gif - so much for having confidence in me lol!

On another note, the decor just around the cake -ie greenery, puff base etc. is also done by the decorator as part of the set up or the venue will provide that?

cownsj Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandykin

Thought so myself...he he
Not listening to my DH again about cake business!
He makes me second guess myself - Heck if it was up to him, I'd be giving it away for nothing!

By the way, the wedding cake is for one of his friends, so he feels he needs to be involved (because he doesn't want to "sour" his friendship icon_smile.gif - so much for having confidence in me lol!

On another note, the decor just around the cake -ie greenery, puff base etc. is also done by the decorator as part of the set up or the venue will provide that?

Let you DH know that the best way to upset his friend is for him to be involved without having all the proper knowledge of how things works and how it all goes. then remind him of, or tell him to watch the episode of Will & Grace when Grace is doing the decorating for Will's client Harlan and she gets fired because Will was so concerned with her doing it right he messed it up for her.

indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:40am
post #9 of 13

Here are a few threads with my ever-so-never-humble opinion on this topic of table decor:.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653217-.html
and
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-585009-.html
and my favorite:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-646875-.html

In a nutshell: NO.... I do NOT decorate anything. If you want to HIRE someone to decorate, then you call a professional reception decorator or hire a wedding planner. THat's what these people get paid to do. *I* get paid to do your cake.

Period.

Edited to add: Plates are not included in my price-per-cake. I would offer to provide them AT A PRICE if the bride didnt' want to mess with it IF THEY ALSO bought my catering package. If it was a drop-n-run cake, then buying the plates was their responsbility.

tesso Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 7:31am
post #10 of 13

icon_surprised.gif wow.. icon_surprised.gif someone else experienced the plate question too !! The cake i did at christmas the bride asked it it included the plates. I politely said, no, decorating the reception hall is your responsibility all i do is make the cake to order and deliver/set up. Those silly brides !! icon_razz.gif

Kandykin Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:01am
post #11 of 13

Thank you ladies!

CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:42am
post #12 of 13

Wow, what a wealth of knowledge.

tonedna Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:06am
post #13 of 13

No and no..and again no...lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%