How To Use Imprint Mat On Fondant?

Decorating By Nobuko Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Nobuko Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:15am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,
I'd appreciate if someone would tell me how to use an imprint(impression) mat on fondant correctly. Am I suposed to press on fondant AFTER a cake is covered with fondant? Seems like it would mess up the cake if I press too hard but can't see any design on the cake if I don't press hard enough.... Or is there any technique I don't know.... Please help!

2 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 3

I use both methods - before the fondant is applies and after the fondant is applies. For example, if using a quilting mat, I always apply the impression after the fondant is on the cake. For all over designs, I often use the impression mat before I transfer the fondant to the cake. You will get some stretch and distortion (haven't figured out how to prevent this).

My preferred method is to put the pattern on the cake after fondant. Reason being is I can get any air bubbles out, I'll have a perfect surface to work with, can use my smoothers as hard as I want. I figure if I'm applying a lot of pressure using smoothers, what does it matter if the impression mat is under the smoothers.

Hope this helps.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 3

I roll out my fondant first, then move it to the impression mat and gently roll it again, be sure not to let it slide around. Then I roll my fondant back up on the rolling pin, this keeps the design from stretching as much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%