How Do You Do A "kitchen Cake"?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm by Loucinda

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:33am
post #1 of 8

Never made a kitchen cake before. It is my understanding that its just a sheet cake that matches the main cake in terms of flavors, fillings, layers, etc. If the main cake is fondant, do you cover the sheet cake in fondant? Do you decorate it to match the main cake too? How do kitchen cakes look when the main cake is fondant?

TIA!

7 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:00am
post #2 of 8

may sound silly.. but what exactly is a kitchen cake? =/

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:05am
post #3 of 8

When I do kitchen cakes they are torted like a regular cake but iced in buttercream only and I do border it but no decoration. They are not going to be seen they are the cakes they keep in the serving kitchen and are cut up before they are ever brought out to serve.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:18am
post #4 of 8

thanks! lol. total newbie!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 8

should I ice the kitchen cake to match the color of the main cake? does it matter if each serving doesnt look like the main cake as a whole?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 8

I ice in the same color but don't decorate at all.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 8

Because I calculate the value of all of my cakes the same way--$X.XX/serving--I make my kitchen cakes look as much as possible like the main cake.

If the main cake is round, the kitchen cakes are round. If the cake has fondant on it, so does the kitchen cake. I do, however, minimize decoration. I replicate the main color scheme but don't add fine details like intricate piping.

I do this because people are funny--they all want to believe that they got a piece of the "Big" cake. I try to make it so that they can all have that "fantasy", even if the main cake will only serve 90 and there are 200 guest.

Whatever works for you.....
Rae

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 8

I never make a "sheetcake" for a kitchen cake. It is always at least 2 layers - if the wedding cake it torted, so is the kitchen cake. I take whatever sheetcake size that is called for, cut it in half and stack it to make the 2 layers.

As far as round vs. square, I always make my kitchen cakes square - I use indy's way of cutting it, so there is no way to tell whether it came from a round or a square cake.

Trim is the same, but none of the fancy decor. And if the main cake is fondant, the kitchen cake is too.

Literally, you would not be able to tell which cake your slice came from - plated, my kitchen cakes are identical to the main cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%