Icing Sugar Brands In Aus & ??? About Differences

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm by noahsmummy

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:30am
post #1 of 9

I am a little confused and need some help lol

What is the difference between pure icing sugar and soft icing sugar mixture? I mean i know that the mixture one contains a small amount of starch but just want to know does that effect how it works compared to pure icing sugar eg. In a buttercream does it allow the buttercream to crust or does the starch prevent this?

Also does anyone know of any brands of good quality icing sugar that i can buy in Australia? I have always used CSR pure icing sugar but was told it was not good quality? And if i buy a better quality icing sugar (finer ground etc) what are the benifits......does that mean i will get a smoother buttercream texture?

I need it to still be able to crust in buttercream though

Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

8 replies
scopey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scopey Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:14am
post #2 of 9

Hi I am in sydney and I don't find anything wrong with csr pure icing sugar
I was told you have to use pure icing sugar in royal icing because the starch will affect the results but in buttercream I just use the mixture
I use the crusting buttercream recipe off this site with the icing sugar mixture and it always comes out great hope that helps

Elise87 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:29am
post #3 of 9

thanks for the help!

Yeh i use CSR all the time and havn't really know any other brand and found it fine but was told is wasn't that good and i am like oh icon_confused.gif so just was wondering what ppl think if there are better brands or whatever

great to know i can use the soft icing mixture for my crusting buttercream though, thanks thumbs_up.gif you can feel in the packet that it is alot finer and softer than the pure icing sugar so would be interested if it makes the buttercream a smoother texture

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:03am
post #4 of 9

Hi Elise and Scopey,

CSR sugar has received a bad rap from members of the Cake Guilds and Associations - their members, some of whom have been using the same recipes for years were experiencing problems with fine piping work (CSR icing sugar had much larger particles that were not dissolving) and also with flower paste ( different texture and weak structure) There was a group involved in product testing and their advise was that Bundaberg Icing Sugar was a far superior product. Of course, if you girls aren't having any problems with CSR then continue to use it, I think it's good to have the information though, so if you start to expereience similar difficulties it may help you.

Bundaberg Icing Sugar is available though IGA stores in most Australian capital cities - it can be difficult to source through Woolworths and Coles.

Here is a link to Helen Dissell's site (she offers some advice to the contrary about royal icing and icing sugar mixture (with cornflour) saying that she uses it all the time in the tropics and it actually works because of her climatic conditions! NOTE: Most icing sugar mixture these days is Gluten Free - so the last line is irrelevant
http://www.sugarartcreations.com.au/sugar-art-cake-decoration-recipes.htm

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:55am
post #5 of 9

ohk. im prob. gonna get blasted... i hate the csr pure icing sugar. i used it once for something.. dont remember what.. and i spent about an hour trying to sift it. my arms felt like they were going to drop off after that little expedition..lol.

im also a major cheapskate. so use the cheapest stuff i can find. which has so far been at franklins. just the franklins brand icing sugar. I havnt had a problem with using it for anything.. RI, bc, crusting bc, fondant..

but i am definantly no professional so i most probably wouldnt notice the important-if subtle- differences icon_redface.gif.

anyway, thats just me. i just cannot deal with the agony of sifting another tbl spoon of that stuff. ughh. seriously, it took me at least an hour. speaking to aussies here too, does anyone know a good modelling paste recipe? or where i can get cmc/gum trag/ tylose? im having no luck and its driving me up the proverbial bend.

Elise87 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:15am
post #6 of 9

oohhhh right i see, thanks for the explanation malakainrop thumbs_up.gif Yeh i remember someone saying about bundaberg icing sugar now, don't have an IGA that close to me but if i am ever passing i might buy a packet to try it but i might try the softer version CSR icing mixture atm to see how it compares cose it is easier to get for me icon_smile.gif

Also Noahsmummy i can agree with you that the CSR icing is hard to sift lol cose it gets really easily lumpy

Don't have a modelling paste recipe sorry i just use fondant and tylose powder, if i buy it i buy the cake art modelling paste......i think it may the be only gumpaste stuff that actually tastes really good! LOL

I order my tylose powder from www.cakedeco.com.au which in is melb but they do deliver australia wide.

Or there is www.bakery s ugar c raft.com.au (remove the spaces) who are in NSW but have never ordered from them but i did see they have the tylose powder.

noahsmummy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:21am
post #7 of 9

thankyou! shall try them out. =)

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 9

The link above to Helen's site has also got .... Superior Grade Tylose (it is very close to Gum Trag and a 10th of the price)

I've aquired many paste recipes over the years - and have favourites for different applications

This is a good 'all-purpose' modelling paste - been around for LONG time - original recipe ??? college days.... maybe Bernice Vercoe!

MODELLING PASTE (college recipe)

3 teaspoons gelatine
50ml water
3 teaspoons copha
2 teaspoons liquid glucose
1 teaspoon CMC
300g icing sugar

Let gelatine swell in waterDissolve over gentle heat - add melted copha and warmed glucose

Add icing sugar add extra icing sugar to modelling paste as required

This paste is fabulous for fine strong flowers - John is based in Melbourne.

John Quai Hois Paste Recipe

400gms icing sugar sifted
3 teaspoons tylose
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
5 teaspoons cold tap water
2 teaspoons gelatine
4 teaspoons copha, melted
2 teaspoons liquid glucose, melted
one large egg white (from 61g egg)

Dissolve gelatine in water, allow to sponge. Place icing sugar, tylose and tartar in a bowl. Mix until combined. Warm in a microwave for about 2 mins on a medium level just to warm it. Place the gelatine mixture over bain-marie and allow to melt until clear but do not cook it. Melt copha and glucose then add this to the gelatine mixture, stir until combined, add this mixture along with the egg white to the icing sugar and beat on low speed to mix (use a dough hook on Kenwood) then on high for about 10mins. The paste should be stringy and white at this stage. Divide paste into 4 balls and place in separate freezer bags. Refrigerate overnight. The paste will be hard at this stage, break off small pieces and mix until pliable. Store in an airtight container. When mixing the paste on your Kenwood place your hand on the arm of the beater when mixing on high to help the motor and stop the beater from moving around.

another simple modelling paste is:-

TYLOSE PASTE.
Make royal icing mix to soft peak consistency then add 2 teaspoons of tylose.
Keep in glad wrap in airtight container.
Royal is made with 1 egg white and 1-1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar. Paste should not be sticky. Rub some White vegetable fat on your hands and work paste well before storing. Place paste in a plastic bag, then seal in a container.

noahsmummy Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 9

wow! thatnks for those! -=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%