What Happened!?

Baking By lolobell Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 12:27pm by JGMB

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #1 of 15

need help troubleshooting this problem..it's a first and of course..had to be for a order of cookies for my nieces class.. icon_smile.gif

i made frog cookies...royal icing...antonia's recipe..has never failed me..
i was just packaging the cookies and i kept one aside for my daughter...
she took a bite and...... a thin layer of icing came off..and underneath is powder..my icing turned to powder... literally....i could blow on it and it was powder.. so, when the kids take a bite of them on tuesday...they will get a mouth full of powder..... i'm very upset about it and have NO idea why this happened...

any ideas?! i cannot have this happen again... with family..i can get away with it...a customer.. i cannot.

thanks!
Mar

14 replies
kiki07 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 15

Did you let the icing sit and then re-stir before using? It sounds like it started to separate.

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 15

the icing only sat for a few hours before i used it.. and yes, i stirred it well before using..

it is the strangest thing...i've never seen this happen...

thanks for your input!
M

kiki07 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 15

Weird! Maybe you had a little grease in your mixing bowl? No clue icon_confused.gif

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 15

i always wash with very hot water before i make it! i know, i thought of that too... i also clean my beater and spatula as well!
i use Americolor colorings....those are great so i have no clue...

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 15

That's weird. I thought that was normal for RI. Sometimes it'd be like candy, and other times it was powdery. That's why i switched to glace.

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 15

what is glace?

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 15

It's a glaze that has corn syrup, milk or water, and PS. I'm at work now and don't have the recipe, but i'm sure it's in the recipe section here. It's called Toba's Glace.

lolobell Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 15

thanks so much! i'll research it! icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 15

Gemini has an amazing recipe that she's posted as well.

JGMB Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bake6

Gemini has an amazing recipe that she's posted as well.

Gemini RJ's recipe is what I use exclusively since she was kind enough to share it with us a year or so ago. It tastes great! Here's her post from another thread:

3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
3 Tablespoons skim milk (you can use water or other type milk)
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
15 drops brite white food color, optional (I use Americolor brand)

Mix the milk and corn syrup into the powdered sugar until well combined (I use a bowl and a spoon). Add the brite white and mix well. The brite white helps prevent the icing from getting cloudy and spotty, though I only had that problem when I refrigerated the decorated cookies. At this point, I play with the icing until I get the consistency I want, which is similar to white school glue. To thicken, add more powdered sugar. To thin, and more corn syrup. Divide and color.

For the final outlining icing, I add more powdered sugar until the icing is the consistency of peanut butter.

lolobell Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:40am
post #12 of 15

thank you for sharing this recipe..i was unable to find it on CC..

now, forgive the question but...would i "flood" my cookies with this glace like i do my royal OR is this more of a "dip" for the cookies...
also, i assume that it dries hard like royal...so is the drying time about the same or less/longer?

thanks again everyone!

Tellis12 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:26am
post #13 of 15

does the glace get hard enough to stack or bag the cookies?

luv2bake6 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:43am
post #14 of 15

Yes, it dries hard enough to stack and bag.
It takes longer to dry than RI so leave plenty of time.
To thicken, add more PS. To thin, add milk, water, or corn syrup

JGMB Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:27pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

would i "flood" my cookies with this glace like i do my royal OR is this more of a "dip" for the cookies...

Yes, you outline the desired area with a thicker consistency glace in a piping bag, then flood the area with a thinner glace.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%