Gumpaste Daffodils

Decorating By stacyd Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm by JulieMN

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #1 of 27

I cannot find my Wilton book that came with the gumpaste tools. Can anyone tell me how to make gumpaste daffodils? Thank you!

26 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:28am
post #2 of 27
rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:29am
post #3 of 27

I used the tutorial that jan has posted to make the daffodils in my photos but I made my own template as I could not get one as I needed it over newyear.

stacyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyd Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #4 of 27

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyd

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Ditto

Holy cow!. I'm doing a cake for someone's 80th birthday next week and I really wanted to do daffodils since it's March's birth flower but just wasn't going to try it. This makes it look so easy I can't wait to try it. I'd love to have these on her cake.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 27

They were real easy to make, I made 50 in about 3 hours not including the drying time.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 27

Its an excellent tutuorial....its easy to understand and really simplifies the process.

cownsj Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 27

I just can't believe this. I thought I'd never make a daffodil again. My first one using this method is 10 times better than the best one I ever made with RI. My 2nd one is so much better than even the first. Learning curve? Well, not really much needed. I know my next will be even better. I'm having so much fun making these now.

thank you sooooooo much! icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:00am
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Gumpaste daffodils:

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gum-paste-daffodil.html

HTH

Jan, I can't thank you enough for this tutorial. I had to make a "simple, sheet cake" for a woman turning 80. They were having a birthday party for her at church and what was stressed was that it needed to be simple, but pretty since that is what she would most appreciate. I wanted to do her birth flower, but didn't have a decent way to make them. Thanks to this, I was able to keep her cake simple and give her a cake with her birth flower on it. http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll426/ShelbyLynnCakes/?action=view¤t=291.jpg
I'll also be making these to put on an Easter cake at my in-laws. Thank you again. This time it will be a large bouquet of daffodils.

I just LOVE learning new things......

Lita829 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #10 of 27

Very pretty, cownsj! I bet she loved it!

cownsj Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Very pretty, cownsj! I bet she loved it!

Thank you. I was pretty happy with my first attempt at making them. Most important was that she really did love her cake. And she was adorable, wanted to cut the cake for each person there.

JanH Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:52am
post #12 of 27

stacyd, you're very welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:54am
post #13 of 27

cownsj, glad to help. icon_biggrin.gif

Lovely cake, the flowers are just perfect. thumbs_up.gif

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #14 of 27

ignore post - posted twice

Tclanton Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 27

Another question - are the stamens available for purchase also? My Mom's birthday is this month and she loves flowers, so I thought that I might try to accomplish the daffodils. Just wonder if I can find all the tools needed as I would need to make it next weekend.

cownsj Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #16 of 27

They do sell the stamens in Michaels and AC Moore. Have fun making the daffodils. If you haven't tried them already, you'll find out how easy and fun they are to make.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #17 of 27

I wanted to have everything on my cake edible, so I made stamens for my dafodills from little pieces of dry spaghetti which I dipped in fool coloring. After they were dry, I dipped the ends in some petal dust.It worked really well.

cownsj Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady

I wanted to have everything on my cake edible, so I made stamens for my dafodills from little pieces of dry spaghetti which I dipped in fool coloring. After they were dry, I dipped the ends in some petal dust.It worked really well.

I not only love that idea, I'm just going to go ahead and steal it.... icon_rolleyes.gif
Thank you for that idea.

Lita829 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:26pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

Another question - are the stamens available for purchase also? My Mom's birthday is this month and she loves flowers, so I thought that I might try to accomplish the daffodils. Just wonder if I can find all the tools needed as I would need to make it next weekend.

Yup..they sell them at Michael's.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:03am
post #20 of 27

Steal away! icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:42am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FACSlady

Steal away! icon_smile.gif

That was the only thing we didn't like with these flowers because we too want everything to be edible. Now this just resolved that dilemma, and it should work for all flowers. But ya know, if you give it to me, then I can't say that I stole it...... icon_wink.gif hehehe

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #22 of 27

What a great tutorial Jan H! I think I can do this - looks pretty simple when you get to see it. I used a different tutorial and my daffodils ended up in the trash!

Thanks again!

Tclanton Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:18pm
post #23 of 27

So the stamens at Michaels wouldnt be in the cake section, but in the flower section? Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions - I really appreciate it. And no, I havent made any type of flower yet. As a matter of face only one cake thus far and I thought it turned out really good. Check out my little mardi gras cake. Lots of love went into that cake. It was for my sons girlfriend.

Thanks Again and have a great weekend.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #24 of 27

i also use speghetti for stamens. when i make b/c fowers ,etc. hibiscus b/c flower. use speghetti for stamen.

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm
post #25 of 27

could I use this same idea for poinstettias? I am doing a wedding cake in Dec. She wants basket weave filled iwth poinsettias. Has anyone tried with gumpaste or modeling chocholate?

cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

So the stamens at Michaels wouldnt be in the cake section, but in the flower section? Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions - I really appreciate it. And no, I havent made any type of flower yet. As a matter of face only one cake thus far and I thought it turned out really good. Check out my little mardi gras cake. Lots of love went into that cake. It was for my sons girlfriend.

Thanks Again and have a great weekend.

No, the ones at Michaels are in the baking section, by all the tools, fondant, etc.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #27 of 27

I can't wait to try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%