Mother Made A Nasty Comment...... Vent

Lounge By mrspriss0912 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm by paulstonia

mrspriss0912 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 8

This just totally p*$#%d me off today icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I went to the mall today w/ my 15 yo DD. I have always dressed in my own style and encourage DD to do the same thing.

I stopped in to say hi to mom today, she looked at me then turned to my daughter and informed her that I was an "old woman" trying to dress young icon_mad.gif It just tore me up when she said that especially to my daughter!

I'm sorry but when did 36 become "old"? She then had the nerve to tell DD that her t-shirt was a good size because at least today her boobies weren't hanging out! First off, I dont let my daughter out of the house looking inappropriate! We have had more than one of the famous clothing fights in my house.

Anyway she was at work and in front of her co-workers when she said this and I thought it was nasty to talk that way to us in front of her friends. Am I wrong to be offended by this?

7 replies
juleebug Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspriss0912

Am I wrong to be offended by this?

Not wrong at all. I'll soon be 38 and I just went on a shopping spree at Rue 21. My 15 yo daughter & I even share our clothes. No one sent me the memo that I had to wear potato sacks or mumus once I passed 30.

indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #3 of 8

THis is why my kids tell their friends they have a great mom ... because I've watched women like this in action and made a pledge that I would NEVER act like that to my children!

So thank god these women are around to be good anti-role-models for the rest of us .... by showing us what NOT to do as parents!

Then when these women are sitting around in their 70's and 80's wondering why they are all alone in their old age ..... well, they'll just never get it, will they?

(yeah....I AM in more of a sarcastic mood than normal tonight!) icon_evil.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:29am
post #4 of 8

Don't know what you had on, don't care, and even if your mother had been right, that was very rude and very mean spirited of your Mother to talk that way, to address your daughter that way, and geez, in front of co-workers no less. Maybe she felt it was too young and was embaressed, just giving you another perspective, but still very mean spirited of your mother. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

mrspriss0912 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:50am
post #5 of 8

Thanks Ladies !!!!!! I was wearing a pair of red plaid combat boots with my jeans rolled up above the ankles so that they showed better (my dd has a pair that are grey which she wears all the time with her pants tucked in). Also a white button down shirt and tie that I bought that matched the boots and a red leather jacket.

I thought it was cute and DD loved it and was glad that I didn't wear my normal jeans and oversized shirt. Have over the past two years lost about 40 lbs and have bought clothes that fit.

Anyway I was comfortable with my outfit and that is what I am teaching DD be comfortable in your style but she still has guidelines that she has to follow too Yes I think it was mean to act that way I wont be going out there to see her for a while to say the least.

Indydebbie glad to see you back
Labella your advice rocks as always
juleebug thanks I neede to know I wasnt overreacting

mamawrobin Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:22am
post #6 of 8

The outfit sounds too cute. Your mother was out of line no matter what you were wearing she shouldn't have said that. I agree with Indydebi, I know women like that and I've vowed to be nothing like them as a mother.

Mrs-A Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:13am
post #7 of 8

good grief - youre only 36, its not as if you were wearing a mini skirt with a see thru top and hooker shoes!

edit: btw, youve lost 40lbs lately - well done and maybe momma just a little bit put out by that???

paulstonia Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

btw, youve lost 40lbs lately - well done and maybe momma just a little bit put out by that???

exactly what I was thinking, sounds like mom is a little jealous. When we are heavier than we are comfortable we tend to dress not to be noticed(at least I do). Maybe mom is not comfortable with your new look, but that's her problem. I would be pi$$ed if someone talked to me like that in front of people, and when it's your mom you gotta add hurt too.
And deb, I know just what you mean, my mom has never been one of the really critical, most of the time she's very supportive. But she always seems to point out that new zit, like I hadn't noticed it yet. And of course, still battling it at 45, my complexion is my weak spot. I've promised myself never to do that to my kids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%