Alcohol Flavored Cakes?

Baking By officialamysue Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 7:21am by CakeEvolution

officialamysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
officialamysue Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #1 of 10

so i am going through some gourmet cake recipe ideas... there are some that request alcohol stuff do we use real alcohol to get the flavor? or does the alcohol go away and is servable for people under 21? so confused!!

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:08am
post #2 of 10

Yes, you use real alcohol. When baked, most (but not all) of the alcohol evaporates, just leaving the flavor behind. When not baked, the amount is not enough per serving to make it not okay for kids to eat, although some might not like the flavor.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #3 of 10

Almost every cake I serve has alcohol in it, but it's in such minimal amounts (no more than a good vanilla extract) it doesn't matter.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 10

I had this same question. I am toying with some recipe ideas, and wanted to make a rum cake for my hubby, but wanted to allow our 3 year old to eat it icon_smile.gif My husband has assured me it bakes off, but Its nice to hear it on here also icon_smile.gif I wondered about the amounts as well to add the flavor, so just a Tablespoon and you'd get the flavor and not tipsy icon_smile.gif

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 10

I use alcohol icon_biggrin.gif , etc,. any of the popular mixes. I also have used peppermint alcohol with my chocolate cakes for the Christmas holidays. One more is your white chocolate liqueur flavors when you are trying to get that extra white chocolate taste in the cake, works great. I charge more per slice on these cakes, because it is not cheap to buy. Good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

officialamysue Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 10

thanks everyone, how much extra do you charge for the "alcoholic" tehehe.. cupcakes??

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyLecia

I wondered about the amounts as well to add the flavor, so just a Tablespoon and you'd get the flavor and not tipsy icon_smile.gif

I replace about 1/2 or a little more of the water (I use cake mixes) with the alcohol I am using.

officialamysue Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 10

thanks for the tip texas!! i gave up on scratches ima go along with mixes but make them more gourmet! im just trying to figure out how to price the ones with filling and alcohol.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 10

I don't charge extra for fillings (regular ones) since I figure that into my cost. For the addition of alcohol I'd figure out how much it costs you to make it. You can figure out about how much of a bottle you are using and how much that is and add an additional charge for that.

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:21am
post #10 of 10

You may also like the article.... I found it helpful.
We are using such small amounts to begin with, so at the end of the day... it is practical nothing there...lol

http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%