Fondant Animals & Cake Delivery...a Few Questions

Decorating By Sunshine93 Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 11:42pm by msulli10

Sunshine93 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 5

I have a baby shower cake due this Sunday about 1 hour 45 min away. I personally do not have to deliver the cake, someone is picking it up. It will be an 8 inch and 6 inch stacked cake covered in fondant with a fondant/gumpaste animal on top. How do I transport that where it will make it in one piece?

Also, how soon can I make the fondant/gumpaste animal for the top? The cake design will be a bit challenging for me and I have a lot to accomplish in a short period of time. I also need flat fondant jungle animals that will fit inside of polka dots (if that makes any sense) I'm making the cake to match the baby bedding called "Lollipop Jungle." I'll see if I can get a picture to attach. Any help on how to make the animals in the dots would be appreciated!

4 replies
Iggy Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 5

I would suggest that you duplicate the flowers and polka dots and use that for your main design. You can make your gumpaste animals now. In fact make them now & you'll have more time to make your flowers and polka dots as they won't need to dry as much. Then put your animals on top & sides of cake. As far as transporting it, I would put it in a corrugated open top box but have 1 side cut & taped to get the cake in & out. You want it higher than the top of the cake. Put a sharpened dowel through the top of the cake all the way into your bottom board. That will stabilize it. Good Luck!

kitty122000 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 5

If wi was trying to duplicate the animals inside the dots I'd hand paint them on round disks of dried gumpaste.

Price Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 5

That's a really cute design. It should be lots of fun to do. You can make your animal topper now. Fondant figures can be made way in advance.

To duplicate the animals inside the dots I would do them as cutouts and attach them to the dots.

msulli10 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 5

I would also suggest you go with the polka dots and flowers using the colors shown in your picture. Maybe you can cut some of the other animals out of fondant and put them on the sides of the cake (flat not 3D). Make one 3D animal as the topper (monkey would be my choice). If you stack correctly and dowel the cake you shouldn't have any problems transporting. I wouldn't put the 3D animal on till the cake gets to it's destination. I made a bunch of animals for a Zoo Crew cake and made them out of rice krispy treats and covered them in fondant. I found the fondant too heavy.
I attached a picture so you could see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%