Painting Swirls On Buttercream Cake - Use Buttercream Or Ri

Decorating By 2winboyz Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm by 2txmedics

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 16

I just consulted with a bride yesterday and she wants gold swirls on white buttercream. I wasn't sure if I should use royal icing or buttercream to make the swirls before painting them gold. Does it matter? Thanks in advance.

15 replies
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 16

Royal icing melts when it comes into contact with butter/oil (this is why you have to make sure there is not even a trace of butter left in your mixer prior to making a batch of RI). Stick with buttercream! icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 16

I'm not trying to question your knowledge about royal icing melting when coming into contact with buttercream.

I'm just wondering then, how do people do a colorflow out of royal icing and put it onto a buttercream cake?

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:14am
post #4 of 16

Yikes - I have no idea!! Maybe someone more experienced could chime in?

No offence taken; you have raised a good point. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 16

Here's a photo of me painting silver onto BC piped hearts: http://cateritsimple.com/id11.html

I just let the swirls crust (took about 10 minutes) then painted them with the luster dust mixed with vodka.

I dont use RI for anything cake. Nothing.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 16

I have done cake decor in RI. A matter of fact I just did a baby shower cake and the string work and the dots are in RI, no melting at all. I have heard about the grease breaking it down too but have not had any problems myself.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 16

Indy, so in that picture, its BC that your are putting onto BC, let it dry and then paint it?

I love all your tips and new ideas, you are my "Cake Goddess"...lol
I have a son on his 3rd tour in Iraq, and a daug. also new in the Army...he loved my spiderman, batman, superman cakes, if he only knew the problems I had!!! lol

So please, I need to do a cake for this saturday, I would like to so something nice...scrolls, damask...BUT I ONLY WORK IN BC, fondant and I fight...so Help!!!! Im still new.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 16

Hi, I'm NOT IndyDebi by any stretch of the imagination icon_lol.gif . But, in case she doesn't answer, I wanted to say that I have piped buttercream onto buttercream, let it dry, then painted it with luster dust mixed with vodka. I did the "50" on the anniversary cake in my photos this way. HTH!

indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 16

what JGMB said! thumbs_up.gif

2txmedics Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:57am
post #10 of 16

Indy that recipe that I followed onto one of your links for smoothing icing....how many cakes will it cover?

You had said it was given to you 25yrs ago...and I copied to try it out ....

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:10am
post #11 of 16

Here's a link indydebi's b/c recipe:
(You can save to your CC recipe file.)

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

HTH

indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:31am
post #12 of 16

it will easily ice an 8" round, including decorations and filling, with icing left over.

2txmedics Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 16

Indy, OMG thumbs_up.gif I used your recipe for these cakes I had to do and I love your icing!!!! Boy does it crust big time!!!!! It crusted so good that I was able to Stencil on my cakes!!!! I used the same bc, I just thinned it alittle to stencil.
Now it did crust firm and hard, is it suppose to? or am I doing something wrong? lol...Have to ask!!!

I still have to work on the smoothing, tried the Mel. method and I still couldnt...I know practice, practice...lol

But thank you very much!!!! do you have a trick for making more BC? faster?? lol
LL

indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 16

I've "kinda"stenciled on my icing. The crusting can vary, depending on the amount of crisco you do or don't add. I'm betting that while the surface crusted really well, it was still nice and soft on the inside, right? thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:26pm
post #15 of 16

The mardi gras cake in my album is all piped buttercream and all the gold was painted after the BC crusted. I'm with IndyDebi..don't like the taste of RI so I don't use it on my cakes for anything.

2txmedics Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #16 of 16

Yes Indy!!!! I was afraid at first I must confess!!!!! icon_redface.gif Like more of a panic, cause I touched the cake after I decorated and it was ROCK HARD!!! icon_smile.gif Then I bumped it in error and nothing not a dent, and I thought OMG!!!

If his BC is rock hard, then that means that the cake is going to be hard...so the next day, OMG! I got so many calls, about how moist the cake was, tasted so good!...I was like are you sure type of deal. lol, The lady says, hey mom, this is the cake lady...the other woman comes up and says your cake was fantastic, it tasted so good, and very fresh.

SO YES, GOOD CRUST ON THE OUTSIDE AND VERY MOIST AND SMOOTH INSIDE! Wow!!! and it only took me like almost 3yrs to try your recipe, your the fourth one.
but now I have to try roses...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%