Adding Jello To Scratch Cake

Decorating By blittle6 Updated 1 Sep 2013 , 1:45pm by Rohini

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 16

Hi,

Can I add a box of Jello gelatin or pudding to a scratch recipe? Specifically could I flavor the King Artur White Cake by adding a box of say strawberry jello or white chocolate pudding to the batter? If it is doable, do I have to add more liquid of some type? Someone was nice enough to send me a lime cake recipe but it calls for adding the Jello to a white cake mix but I have none!

Thank you so much for your help on this. I love knowing all of you pros are out there to help me out!! I hope I can return the favor one day with help, a recipe, or something!!!!

Berta icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 28 Aug 2005 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 16

I have never added inst pudding to a scratch cake. If I am making a scratch cake, then I use chocolate, alcohol or fruit preserves for flavoring. Also, the flavored oils are good to use as long as you use them sparingly.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out. icon_smile.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:10am
post #3 of 16

SOUR CREAM VANILLA PUDDING CAKE
2 c all-purpose flour
1 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda
1 c sugar
1 pk instant vanilla pudding (3 1/8 oz.)
1 c sour cream
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 c oil
1 ts vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°. Mix all ingredients and beat for 5 minutes. greased 10-cup bundt pan. Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes away clean. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely.

PUDDING CAKE
3/4 c Butter
1 1/3 c sugar
3 eggs
1 ts flavour
1 1/4 c water
1 pk instant pudding mix (3-3/4 ounces)
2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour two 9-inch round layer pans. In large mixing bowl cream Butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add water, pudding mix, flour and baking powder. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until blended, scraping bowl Constantly. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake at 350ºF for 35 to 45 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely.

LEMON JELLY CAKE FROM SCRATCH
2 c cake flour
2 ts baking powder
1 1/2 c sugar
1 pk lemon-flavoured gelatine
3/4 c milk
2/3 c oil
2 tb lemon extract
4 eggs
Sift all dry ingredients. Beat eggs, add oil, milk and extract. Mix all together. Ring tin 325oF 40-50 mins.
[strawberry is good - strawberry flavour instead of lemon extract]

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks so much for the recipes! I really aprreciate them, and will try them out as soon as possible!

Berta

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 16

I have done this..... but all I did was replace the water the recipe called for with the jello mixture (I cooled it first to room temperature.....then once the cake was baked I stabbed the cake all over and put just poured a little more jello mixture on the cake....the amount you put on/in the cake after it is baked is what amount you think is enough...I probably poured about 2-3 tablespoons in/on each layer......

sarahpeters1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpeters1 Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 16

love the jello recipe. try doing it with a variety of flavors. Each bit is a surprise. :-)

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 16

I add strawberry Jello to my strawberry cake.  I add it dry and cream it with the butter and sugar at the beginning.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 16

It's hard to imagine what the addition of a gelatin product would do to cake.  The pudding I get, but doesn't the Jello 'gelatin' make the batter wonky somehow?detective.gif

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 10:56am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

It's hard to imagine what the addition of a gelatin product would do to cake.  The pudding I get, but doesn't the Jello 'gelatin' make the batter wonky somehow?detective.gif

The Cake Mix Doctor has some recipes in her book which uses Jell-O/gelatin.  I have also seen some reviews on the All Recipes website, which use Jell-O/gelatin in their cake recipes.  I think it just adds a boost of flavor.  I made a strawberry cake from scratch, and the strawberries alone, didn't add enough flavor in our opinion.  Next time, I plan on adding some gelatin to my batter to see if we like the flavor better.

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

I add strawberry Jello to my strawberry cake.  I add it dry and cream it with the butter and sugar at the beginning.  

I do that too :)

Rohini Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:23pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

No it doesn't....Strawberry Jello in my strawberry cake just adds a lovely pink color and lots of flavor. I do add a little strawberry puré as well to enhance the flavor a little more :)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:52pm
post #12 of 16

AIf adding Jell-O to a cake for a customer please inform them that you've put meat in their cake!

Rohini Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

If adding Jell-O to a cake for a customer please inform them that you've put meat in their cake!

Have only made this recipe for family so far, but if I do make it for a customer I will inform them. Thanks for the tip :)

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 16

I tried a recipe that added a box of jello to a strawberry cake recipe. I did think it changed the texture. I made 2 different strawberry cake recipes to have a side-by-side taste test. IMHO The one with the jello was a lot brighter pink, had a much stronger flavor but in a slightly artificial way. The first day, it wasn't so noticeable, but the second day, it was a gummier texture. Just make sure you try out the recipe first and see if you like it, people have different tastes, some like the jello, but I thought it had a weird texture.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 1:41pm
post #15 of 16

Some of the reviews on All Recipes suggested not adding all of the gelatin, because of the texture.  I thought I would only use half the box of Jell-O/gelatin, the next time I make my strawberry cake.

Rohini Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 1:45pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

If adding Jell-O to a cake for a customer please inform them that you've put meat in their cake!

Made me just think of something else too...does the same apply when you add gelatine to stabilize whipped cream too? Unless some kind of vegan gelatine is used instead of course. Hmmm...something to think about....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%