Motta Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of

Mine just tastes "sweet" but no definite taste. I've added more vanilla and sometimes almond extracts but still...not great. I found that liquers taste best but I want to let my kids eat the cake and they don't go for those flavours (duh).

Any suggestions?

Also, do you use corn syrup, regular sugar or superfine sugar when you boil the sugar syrup?

22 replies
Kellbella Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:07pm
post #2 of

Add a dram of Lorann flavoring!! They have some great flavor options.

Motta Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:14pm
post #3 of

I can only buy it online in Canada. Which flavours are best?

LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4 of

Sugar, not corn syrup. Lemon curd, orange curd, passion fruit curd, lime curd, strawberry puree, any berry puree, chocolate, white chocolate, made with brown sugar for carmel or add carmel. A lot of possiblities. No lorann oil needed...and I don't suggest those either.

Kellbella Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Sugar, not corn syrup. Lemon curd, orange curd, passion fruit curd, lime curd, strawberry puree, any berry puree, chocolate, white chocolate, made with brown sugar for carmel or add carmel. A lot of possiblities. No lorann oil needed...and I don't suggest those either.




LaBella...why no LorAnn?

LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:51pm
post #6 of

For me, JMHO, nothing against lorann oils, but IMBCS/SMBC has a very subtle texture/taste. It is also very excepting of a variety of additves. I feel, JMHO...cause I know how easy people get offended on this site, that to keep the calibur of quality a SMBC/IMBC has, it is better to add natural flavorings to keep it's refined taste. No matter how good the quality is of lorann oils, it is intended for candy and will impart that artificial flavoring, which is not the desired taste in soemthing as refined as a SBMC/IMBC.

Kellbella Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

For me, JMHO, nothing against lorann oils, but IMBCS/SMBC has a very subtle texture/taste. It is also very excepting of a variety of additves. I feel, JMHO...cause I know how easy people get offended on this site, that to keep the calibur of quality a SMBC/IMBC has, it is better to add natural flavorings to keep it's refined taste. No matter how good the quality is of lorann oils, it is intended for candy and will impart that artificial flavoring, which is not the desired taste in soemthing as refined as a SBMC/IMBC.




Just curious icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:56pm
post #8 of

No problem. icon_wink.gif

Motta Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:31am
post #9 of

I have to agree with LaBellaFlor on the oil issue. I have a vial of mango oil flavouring that I added to IMBC once and it just didn't impart a mango flavour at all. I found it hard to describe but "candy" taste is a perfect description. I thought it was the particular flavour that was off but I see now that it might have been the oil....hmmm.

I will definitely have to try that brown sugar for caramel flavour - YUMMY!

I really gotta try my hand at curds - they sound so versatile.

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:37am

Very versatile. Great as a filling and for flavoring IMBC.

loriemoms Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Mine just tastes "sweet" but no definite taste. I've added more vanilla and sometimes almond extracts but still...not great. I found that liquers taste best but I want to let my kids eat the cake and they don't go for those flavours (duh).
Any suggestions?

Also, do you use corn syrup, regular sugar or superfine sugar when you boil the sugar syrup?





I like mine Naked. Love that butter taste! Sometimes I will add some bouquet or rose water.

ceshell Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:57am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

I have to agree with LaBellaFlor on the oil issue. I have a vial of mango oil flavouring that I added to IMBC once and it just didn't impart a mango flavour at all. I found it hard to describe but "candy" taste is a perfect description. I thought it was the particular flavour that was off but I see now that it might have been the oil....hmmm.



Oh wow, I just went through this this weekend! I made a mango puree and tried some oil flavoring to punch it up a bit. I agree that the oil wasn't necessarily "mango flavored" but just kind of "fruity". I'd intended to use it in the IMBC to make IMBC but I changed my mind after tasting it.

If you don't like the naked taste, the above suggestions are fantastic. Chocolate is spectacular. I usually make ganache and add that but I see plenty of people just use melted (but cool) chocolate. If you don't like it so sweet, use 70% chocolate. I tried cream cheese once and it was delicious.

mamawrobin Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:09am

I love white chocolate in my SMBC. Got to try the curds though.

kate6207 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 5:17am

Lemon curd mixed is so so delicious. I also made some Irish cream SMBC for a birthday cake a few weeks ago. It was awesome.

rene1976 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm

why not use corn syrup? I have a recipe that calls for corn syrup. I haven't tried any recipe without using it....is there a difference?

drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm

brown sugar smbc (imbc) is my absolute all time favorite.
lemon curd is right up there too icon_smile.gif

i did blueberry puree a while back and it was fantastic (but you have to love the lavender color too, lol).

pianocat Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm

I love it with Amaretto or Kahlua added. I substitute it for some of the vanilla my recipe calls for. But it is the best with chocolate! I use melted cooled choc. (1/2 bittersweet, 1/2 semi-sweet for me).

MissRobin Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:36pm

Man, You guys are making me hungry!!!!!

PinkZiab Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene1976

why not use corn syrup? I have a recipe that calls for corn syrup. I haven't tried any recipe without using it....is there a difference?




Do you mean JUST corn syrup in place of sugar, or a small amount of corn syrup added TO the sugar?

Corn syrup is commonly added to sugar when cooking to prevent crystallization. But the sugar must be cooked to soft-ball stage for an IMBC. People commonly, but mistakenly, described what is poured into the whites for IMBC as a "sugar syrup," but by the time the sugar reaches soft-ball stage, the water is gone and you are pouring PURE cooked sugar into the whites.

herdream Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm

I made some this weekend using frozen raspberries that I cooked down into a syrup, strained the seeds, and added it to the sugar before pouring into the egg whites. I put a tiny "splash" of raspberry extract to boost the flavor and it was DELICIOUS!!!! Brought them to work on some lemon cupcakes and EVERYONE raved about how delicious the icing was.

ceshell Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm

Oh I can't believe I didn't add this suggestion: mint. I added peppermint extract and paired it with a dark chocolate cake. It's AMAZING. Tastes like a creme-de-menthe candy, or a Thin Mint (Girl Scout Cookies) or mint chip ice cream....whatever you want to call it, it's insane! One of the people I served this to this past weekend--who doesn't even normally eat cake--ate TWO slices and said he thinks it was probably the best cake he'd ever tasted. Yeah!!

Lita829 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm

All the suggestion/recipes sound super YUM!!! I really like the mint idea paired with chocolate cake. I know I am going to try that one for sure thumbs_up.gif

luvscakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:29am

Ok- I use IMBC on all my cakes but have never been too adventurous, although I do make a standard custard, add some to my IMBC and pair it with a raspberry puree on a separate layer of cake. Yum!

I'm very curious of the curds... do you have a passion fruit recipe? How much do you add to you IMBC?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%