Modifying Wasc Recipe- Prolly A Silly Question...

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm by retaunton

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 16

This is prolly a dumb question...

I have been using the WASC recipe and loving it.. but I was wondering if anyone can confirm that if i wanted to make say a strawberry or chocolate flavor...i would just change out the cake mix flavor/type... and maybe the extract flavors...

Am I right? im just trying to find a good flexible recipe... where the cake if need be is also able to withstand carving and such. cake mixes on their own seem to be too fluffy

I am open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks all!

15 replies
pacable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pacable Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 16

yep you can use any flavor

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 16

My family loves Devils Food Cake using WASC. Yes you can use any cake flavor. The Devils Food Cake is more moist to me than others.

CiNoRi Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 16

Awesome! Thanks!

A thought...
For the cakes that normally call for whole eggs <instead of the norm WASC- egg whites> would that change apply too?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 16

I always use whole eggs in WASC, not the egg whites (unless I want really white cake)

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 16

If I make a chocolate cake, I use a chocolate box mix but I also put in a few tablespoons of baking cocoa.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 16

I've made chocolate without adding additional chocolate. It does not have the same deep chocolate color because of the flour, so it probably wouldn't hurt to add additional cocoa. I'd like to know the results.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

If I make a chocolate cake, I use a chocolate box mix but I also put in a few tablespoons of baking cocoa.

Yes, add some cocoa if you make chocolate. It makes it tons better.

CiNoRi Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks guys, I'll start baking in the next dew days. I'll let ya know how it goes!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 16

To make chocolate WASC "pop" - you add strong coffee in place of the liquid. I don't know why it works but it does and it does the cake does not take like coffee.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

To make chocolate WASC "pop" - you add strong coffee in place of the liquid. I don't know why it works but it does and it does the cake does not take like coffee.

Yes it does. I always use coffee instead of water.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 16

I recently made a strawberry cake for a wedding cake using the basic WASC cake recipe. I used whole eggs, not just the whites, and.... I added strawberry icing fruits, AND.... I bought a can of strawberry pie filling that I strained the heavy gel away from the big pieces and used the pieces of strawberries in the cake mix!! It was more moist than I had ever imagined! I filled it with a coconut butter cream and covered it with fondant WITH OUT A PROBLEM!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 16

[quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:

Yes it does. I always use coffee instead of water.[/quote
icon_lol.gif Just to clarify, in my saying "yes it does" that was my response to coffee making the chocolate "pop". After I read my post it sounded like I was saying "yes it does" taste like coffee icon_lol.gif She's correct, doesn't taste like coffee at all!

CiNoRi Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

makes sense... To make Chocolate taste more "chocolatey" i always add coffee (instant or brewed to my differ recipes...Anything from actual chocolate candies.... hot cocoa...to yeah even frosting...dont know why i didn't think cake!

nice!!!

CiNoRi Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

I recently made a strawberry cake for a wedding cake using the basic WASC cake recipe. I used whole eggs, not just the whites, and.... I added strawberry icing fruits, AND.... I bought a can of strawberry pie filling that I strained the heavy gel away from the big pieces and used the pieces of strawberries in the cake mix!! It was more moist than I had ever imagined! I filled it with a coconut butter cream and covered it with fondant WITH OUT A PROBLEM!!

PERFECT!!! oooooh I'm so excited... sounds like I might be making a little extra for home icon_wink.gif

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #16 of 16

If you are making a stawberry cake using the WASC recipe don't use a strawberry cake mix. Add strawberry puree using either real strawberries or frozen. The strawberry cake mix really has the artifificial strawberry flavor. I've made both ways and everbody likes it better when I use a yellow or white cake mix instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%