50Th Anniversary

Decorating By juleebug Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 3:23am by aquamom

juleebug Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 14

I have an order for a 50th Anniversary cake in 2 weeks. The couple had no wedding cake when they married so their children would like for the cake to look like a cake from 1960.

I have tried searching CC but am not really having any luck.

I have also googled "1960s wedding cake" every way I can think of but only get a few results and most of those photos are so blurry it's nearly impossible to make out the cake.

Would anyone possibly have (good) photos of a real cake from this period that you'd be willing to share?

TIA

13 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

I have an order for a 50th Anniversary cake in 2 weeks. The couple had no wedding cake when they married so their children would like for the cake to look like a cake from 1960.

I have tried searching CC but am not really having any luck.

I have also googled "1960s wedding cake" every way I can think of but only get a few results and most of those photos are so blurry it's nearly impossible to make out the cake.

Would anyone possibly have (good) photos of a real cake from this period that you'd be willing to share?

TIA

Would the chirldren be able to help with this? i have seen them and usually they were on stands, not stacked and im thinking a basket weave?? Sorry

juleebug Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:33am
post #3 of 14

cakebaker1957
Thanks for your reply.

The only requests the children have are that each tier be seperated and that the cake look like a cake would have in 1960. I have a Wilton book that shows how to use tips from my birth year - 1972 (a supercool birthday present from my Mom) but there are only a few cake pics in it. And those are party cakes.

I'm thinking ALOT of borders and stringwork but I was kind of hoping to see some real 1960 cakes just to be sure.

chelseak Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:13am
post #4 of 14

It IS really hard to find pics of a 60's cake! The ones I did find seemed to be lots of flowers, stringwork and lots of space between each tier. I did find a couple pics but not very good detail and I am not sure exactly when the second one is from...
LL
LL

juleebug Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:41am
post #5 of 14

Thanks chelseak. The B&W pic you posted is exactly the set-up I'll be doing. And if I squint REAL hard it looks like it has LOTS of border work.

(BTW-Is that Judy Garland?)

ETA:
chelseak... I can't thank you enough! After seeing the file name of the B&W pic, I googled "wedding cake" with the years 1959, 1961... through 1964 and found some HUGE!!! (up to 700 pixels) pics. I can see every speck of icing on the cakes.

YOU ARE A LIFESAVER!

chelseak Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 14

No problem! And yes, it is Judy Garland icon_smile.gif Glad I could help, have fun with the cake!

Jack031 Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 14

If you want a wedding cake to look like from the 1960s then you need to do old school techniques like stringwork, buttercream roses, and buttercream sides, no fondant

juleebug Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks everyone for all your help.

chelseak Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 14

Post a picture when it's done! icon_smile.gif

juleebug Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 14

Here it is... not quite what I was envisioning but I tried to do the old fashioned look and I was NOT good at it. God bless all those cake pioneers who could decorate an entire cake with a star tip... they're better women (and men) than me! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

juleebug Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 14

oh... and the reason for the 2 different types of pillars is when I went to set up, the standard pillars WOULD NOT snap onto the plate!!!! They were all Wilton brand plates and pillars. I tried for 20 minutes. Finally got the spiked pillars to work.

Has anyone else ever had that happen?

Jemoiselle Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 14

Wow! You did a great job! Authentic IMO, and well done. You should be VERY proud =)

chelseak Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #13 of 14

Wow! You did a great job icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for posting the picture!

aquamom Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:23am
post #14 of 14

You did a fantastic job!!! Looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%