Decorating By Anaellisse89 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 1:19am by prterrell

Anaellisse89 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 5

I am fairly new to cake decorating and I was just wondering if icing from the stores such as Duncan Hines or Pillsbury icing is good for practicing roses instead of wasting money to buy a Wilton rose icing jar which I would rather buy when I am making a cake. Thanks in advance.

4 replies
poohsmomma Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 5

Canned frosting is a little too soft for making roses. You could probably beat a little more powdered sugar into it and stiffen it some, and then it might work.

ramie7224 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 5

I'll usually make a batch of buttercream to practice with. If you use shortening instead of butter or half-and-half and it isn't as expensive to make as just butter. I make a batch, practice, scrape everything back in the bowl and practice again. The great thing is you can just refridgerate it and use it over and over again. (I wouldn't keep it longer than a week or two, though, if you're planning on eating any of it.)

cakesrock Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 5

Try Indydebi's BC in recipes - it's a crisco based icing, it's the best BC for EVERYTHING and economical to make! icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 5

Why buy icing when you can make your own????

And no, the stuff at the grocery store can not be used for decorating, especially not for roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%