Chocolate And Fondant

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm by hp6472

pastryqueen9 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 6:14am
post #1 of 7

I am having a difficult time finding high quality chocolate to bake with. The grocery store in my area only carry Baker's, Toll House, and Ghiradellis'. Does anyone know where I can purchase other brands of chocolate that are of high quality?

Secondly, I'd lke to get opinions on what the bes brand of fondant to work with is and why?

6 replies
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 8:03am
post #2 of 7

I don't know about the chocolate question, but I favor making my own fondant (mmf recipe). I did, however, recently purchase a few varieties of Satin Ice. I haven't used it yet, but I did taste it. It's not bad....better than Wilton, That's for sure! I especially enjoyed the chocolate flavor!!

cakesrock Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 7

Satin ice is good, but I prefer Homemade MMF. You can make it choc by adding a good quality cocoa in place of some of the icing sugar. I've also heard Michele Foster's fondant is good (homemade -in recipes) but I haven't tried it as of yet.

Why do you need high quality chocolate? What are you making? I usually don't use high quality to bake with- I even use bulk choc or Baker's for my ganache. I also use Hershey' choc chips. But I live in the home of Bernard Callebaut, so it wouldn't be hard for me to get high quality if I needed it! And that's what I would choose - it's the best! What about buying a large amount on-line to keep on hand?

pastryqueen9 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 7

Cakesrock wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Why do you need high quality chocolate? What are you making? I usually don't use high quality to bake with- I even use bulk choc or Baker's for my ganache. I also use Hershey' choc chips.

Well some of the recipes I've wanted to try specifically say not to use Baker's, store brand, or chocolate chips but to use high quality chocolate. I've heard that some bakers order high quality chocolates online or buy them at specialty stores...they swear by the difference that it makes when using high quality chocolates. I don't really know of any specialty stores in my area for purchasing "high" quality chocolate so I wanted to get the thoughts of some other people.

djs328 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 7

You might want to check someplace like Kitchen & Company - I was in there a few days ago and they had various types of what I assume is high-quality chocolate (the price tag told me so! icon_wink.gif Interestingly enough, they also just started carrying 2 lb buckets of Satin Ice in white, and Satin Ice Gumpaste, along with other baking goodies. (some Lorann stuff, etc.) Was pleasantly surprised! icon_smile.gif

I think others have maybe checked Trader Joes? (could be wrong, but for some reason that sticks in my mind...)

pastryqueen9 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 7

ooooooh Great! Thanks djs!

hp6472 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 7

I suggest dagoba chocolate. You can by it at Wholefoods and at Freshmarket. It is organic chocolate and it works like a charm.
I used it to make pralines and they were soooo good.

They also have a web site (dagobachocolate.com).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%