Can You Mix Italian Buttercream And American Buttercream?

Decorating By Bythebullseye Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 3:32am by prterrell

Bythebullseye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bythebullseye Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:33am
post #1 of 2

I got into cake making only a few months ago, and I only use Italian Meringue Buttercream for my cakes. I have a commissioned wedding cake that I will be making for an outdoor wedding in July. I am really worried about using Italian Buttercream, because I feel that it will melt and the cake and detailed piping will be destroyed.

My questions, is it possible to incorporate some of the American Buttercream recipe into an Italian Buttercream to make it more stable? (Powdered sugar and shortening?) If not, why?

The bride also wants me to use a chocolate mousse and cream cheese filling. Are these a big "no no" for summer weddings?

Thank you all soooo much!!!!

1 reply
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 2

Unless the cake is going to be stored in refrigeration until right before service, you cannot use perishable fillings such as chocolate mousse and cream cheese.

I have mixed IMBC and ABC 1/2 and 1/2 before for outdoor summer events here in GA and holds up great. Doesn't taste quite as good as regular IMBC, but it's better than regular ABC. Still, the best thing to do for outdoor summer events in hot climes is fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%