I Have Just Discovered...

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm by vww104

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 29

Wilton "cake release" it wasnt cheap but now i dont know how i ever coped without it!

what is everyones favourite piece of equipment, that you absolutley could NOT live without? icon_biggrin.gif

28 replies
anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 29

Magic Line cake pans.

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 29

i agree love my magic line cake pans.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 29

You can make pan grease (cake release) with flour and shortneing...Maybe someone else knows the proportions.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 29

Homemade pan grease/cake release is equal parts shortening, flour and oil.

Otter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Otter Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 29

I love the homemade cake release. I lost my recipe, though. Thanks for the proportions. Works like a charm every time.

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 29

My Fat Daddio pans love em

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 29

I'm with you- could not live without my Wilton cake release! But there are sooo many other supplies/pieces of equipment I have come to own that I feel equally attached to, like my sugar art gun & silicone mat, just to name a few.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 29

It has to be my kitchen Aid, I use it for everything. I always tell my husband it was the best gift I ever received from him.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 29

ive just discovered baking strips! after year of baking (packet) cakes im now learning scratch baking ive made 3 with the baking strips and all have been high and level - loving them

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:04am
post #11 of 29

KA KA KA!!!!! i dont know how I ever made anything before it..... and i would probaly die if mine broke!

Zeebadeeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zeebadeeba Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #12 of 29

My KitchenAid!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:49am
post #13 of 29

My Kitchenaid Artisan. Got it from my mom years ago and had it put away, broke it out a few years back when I started caking. I love it so much, I'm looking into getting another one. One for cakes and one for icings. icon_smile.gif

katies_cakes Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:12am
post #14 of 29

Mrs A: im just starting to learn about baking strips, how do they work, how do you use them and where can i get them from? i have always been a scratch baker icon_wink.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 10:33am
post #15 of 29

My Kitchenaid of course, but also my silicone spatulas from Wilton. They have a straight side and a curved side and they are perfect for scooping icing out of bowls, loading piping bags, etc.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:50pm
post #16 of 29

Magic Line pans. I have one Fat Daddio pan and it is absolutely inferior to the Magic Line pans. After that I love my Hobart 20 qt and my Agbay.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:25pm
post #17 of 29

By far, my KA. Could not function without it. It was honestly the best gift I ever received.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 29

My KA mixer. I wouldn't be able to do much else as far as decorating a cake if I didn't have the KA to mix batter and buttercream and royal icing and MMF and whipped cream and ganache.......I could keep going, but you get the idea.

ktmarieb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktmarieb Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:06pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by katies_cakes

Mrs A: im just starting to learn about baking strips, how do they work, how do you use them and where can i get them from? i have always been a scratch baker icon_wink.gif

The science behind the bake even strips are that cakes back from the outside, in. To use a bake even strip, you soak it in water, wring it out, and wrap it around the outside of your pan. This allows the cake to make even so you don't get the high middle.
You can buy them at craft stores. I got mine at Hobby Lobby in the cake decorating aisle.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:07pm
post #20 of 29

If you love your Kitchenaid so much, you would be in complate euphoria with a Hobart. I have the 20qt and it saves me soooooooo much time!

The one tool I panic when I can't find is my fondant smoother!

Chris6703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chris6703 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:33pm
post #21 of 29

I couldn't ever be without my KA also, nor my cake-strips. I have found, however, that they are way too short for many of my pans, and I didnt care to hold up on my baking by overlapping them and waiting to use on next pan. I went to the local dollar store and bought a silver teflon oven mitt, cut it in long strips and even though I didnt bother to sew side edges, I still soak them and pin them with the original store-bought strips. Yay! they work, do not burn, and are cheaper than getting another pack of strips. javascript:emoticon('icon_biggrin.gif')

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #22 of 29

Can't live with out my KA.

Dawn Foods makes and awesome non stick spray. I bought a case at a bakery auction and it has went a long way. I still have about 8 cans. Got to figure out how to get it when its gone.

Crisco makes a spray with flour. I was using it before and it always worked like a dream too.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:09pm
post #23 of 29

My Agbay ! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

katies_cakes Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #24 of 29

Thank you ktmarieb, very helpful info.

i am still building up my collection of equipment and dont have a kitchen aid. but they sound amazing and everyone talks about them. i dont know much about what you can do with it or how it works, could anyone explain it or provide a link to somewhere i could buy one/find out information about it? TIA

katies_cakes Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #25 of 29

i am still building up my collection of equipment and dont have a kitchen aid. but they sound amazing and everyone talks about them. i dont know much about what you can do with it or how it works, could anyone explain it or provide a link to somewhere i could buy one/find out information about it? TIA

katies_cakes Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:41pm
post #26 of 29

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm
post #27 of 29

I just saw the KA 5 qt on QVC today for a really good deal. They even have it on easy pay today!

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #28 of 29

My KITCHEN AIDE by far!!!! Best gift my hubby ever gave me ( or I picked out for him to buy LOL)
Leah_S Iam so jealous of the hobart 20 qt ( I WANT ONE )[/b]

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #29 of 29

I'm with everyone else..as far as baking...definitely my KA. But for general cooking, my KA mini chopper, love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%