Buttercream & Fondant - Fridge ??

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm by t4beatles

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 3

Hello!

I have been looking through all the beautiful pictures posted for ideas and I'm getting ready to embark on my first fondant experience.

I saw a lot of cakes frosted in the buttercream with fondant accents. I'm thinking this might be a good start for me, a little slower start to get used to working with fondant before trying to cover a complete cake.

But I read not to put fondant in the fridge. So how does this work if you are supposed to keep buttercream in the fridge but not the fondant?

2 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 3

A sealed cake (with buttercream or fondant) will stay fresh for several days right out on the counter. The only reason to put a cake in the fridge is if the fillings are perishable and need to be refridgerated. I do often put my fondant cakes in the fridge if it's hot in my house but then you need to bring them back to room temp before presenting due to any condensation that may occur and leave shiny spots on your fondant...these usually go away as it evaporates and comes to room temp.

So have fun playing!

Cat

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for replying Cat!

Quick quesion to your reply -

How do you tell what fillings need to be refridgerated? What is considered 'perishable'?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%