When Making Michele Foster's Fondant...

Baking By AngelaM Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 12:46am by mamawrobin

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 6

Has anybody tried refrigerating the liquid mixture to speed up the cooling process to lukewarm? I always wait until it's just right because I know it's extremely important for the final product, but it seems to take so long to cool to the lukewarm stage. I've thought about putting it in the refrigerator to speed it up, but I'm too scared to try it myself.

Has anybody tried it already?

5 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried refrigerating as I, too, have just waited. I should think it would work, however, if you were cautious and watched it carefully so it didn't have a chance to gel. (I know Michelle says if it is left to sit too long and gets too cool, you can heat it up a little in the microwave. If it is too cool it takes much less PS to look right in the bowl and then the resultant fondant will be too soft. Conversely, if too hot, it will take too much PS and will end up "like a rock.")
I would think then that with careful monitoring it should work. Come to think of it, even if it did start to gel a little, microwaving it a bit should re-liquify.
Be sure to post if you do and are successful. Good luck.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 6

I haven't tried it. But I've also wondered about this as the waiting time is the only thing I don't like about this recipe. It takes forever to get to the right temp.

I haven't tried to fridge it myself because I always assumed it would chill the outer parts of the mixture, particularly the part in contact with the bowl, much faster than the inner area. Which I'm afraid, with all that gelatin, might result in uneven cooling and clumping, without constant stirring.

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually tried it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 6

I did refrigerate the liquid once and it is the only batch of MFF that didn't work out for me. I don't know what it did to it, maybe I let it cool too much. Anyway, it came out with a grainy texture and I was not able to use it. I've just waited it out since. Doesn't really take that long to cool to lukewarm.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #5 of 6

Ok then, thanks for saving me a ruined batch mamawrobin!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:46am
post #6 of 6

You're welcome AngelaM.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%