Questions About A Tall Skinny Cake

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 28 Feb 2010 , 1:37am by Rachie204

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a cat in the hat themed cake for my sons school this Friday. The cake is going to be in the shape of the cats hat. (Most likely 5 6inch cakes stacked covered in fondant with fondant hat brim added to the bottom. Should be about 10inches tall plus a little more by the time I fill it with buttercream.

Should I try and cover it with fondant the regular way or try the wrapping method? I also thought about covering each tier individually (red white red white) and stacking them that way...what do yall think would be best?

Also should I put a cake board between each layer? I usually do but I'm not sure about with a cake like this....

thanks in advance

7 replies
anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 8

I made a tall cake, a little shorter than the 10 inces you mention.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=669953&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
I used pound cake and I didn't put boards in between. I did use dowels to keep all together.
I used the wrapping around the cake system to put the fondant

anamado Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 8

Seems like I misunderstood... it's not 10 inches...
Is your cake going to be 40 inches tall????

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 8

I would definitely put boards between every 4 or 5 inches of cake or the dowels will have nothing to support, the upper cake layers will just slide down the dowels and crush the bottom layers. Since the colors alternate, I would probably just cover each cake in its own color and then stack.

Rachie204 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 8

lol anamado...you had it right the first time...10 inches. (maybe 12 at the most)

Wow your gumball machiene cake looked great!

Thanks pattycakes...I will try and put one maybe every other layer.

Thank you both for the advice. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 8

I would think the easiest thing woud be to add the fondant in strips around the cake once it's fuly stacked and iced, then just put a fondant ribbon around the bottom, and work your way up to the top, alternating red/white. Then a nice big circle for the top........wonder if that would work? Or would they want to slide?

anamado Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

(...)5 6inch cakes stacked covered in fondant (...)

When I reread this I thought they were 5 cakes 6 inches each icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I still would make it the same way we did the other, and then like KHalstead says: 'put a fondant ribbon around the bottom, and work your way up to the top, alternating red/white'
If you put several cakes already covered, my guess it that they wont match perfectly...

Rachie204 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:37am
post #8 of 8

that is a good idea. I didn't even think about adding the stripes that way. (I am not a very good problem solver...lol)

I will give that a try. Thanks to you all. I will post a picture when I finish Thursday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%