Best Edible Material To Use ?

Decorating By catin Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm by catin

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

I'm wanting to make a Hockey Net ( 3D) standing up and about 4 to 6 inches tall , but I'm wondering what type of edible material would work the best . I was thinking pastillage or even RI .... so I came to yous to help me out .

What would you recommend ? I would like it to be edible and sturdy . This Hockey Net will be used as part of decoration for a cake ( may be even to be eaten ... never know ) .

TIA
Julie icon_smile.gif

6 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 7

How about chocolate? I wouldn't want to eat pastillage and chocolate might be a little sturdier than RI.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 7

Don't know when your cake is do, but have you look into sugar veil or as I have just ordered and learned about myselve, unbreakable gel? Don't know if this will help yo any. icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 7

Definitely Sugarveil.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:33am
post #5 of 7

I made a volleyball net out of fondant. I used my extruder to make the thin pieces, then glued them all together to form a net. It looked really cool! Unfortunately, I made it too long, too ahead of time, it hardened and broke when I tried to move it. But for the hockey net, if you used some tylose/gumtex mixed with fondant, it should work just fine

FSandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FSandra Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 7

Can only agree with the sugar veil. Chocolate might break more easily.

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone ,

As for Sugarveil , It wouldn't get here on time for when the cake is due . I was thinking on using fondant or even chocolate . I will give myself a pratice run first and then determine what medium is best to use .

Thanks again .

Julie icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%