What To Ice The Cake With

Baking By jadedlogic Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 12:27am by pattycakesnj

jadedlogic Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am going to make a chocolate cake with a fudge filling (choc chips/can of sweetened condensed milk) and raspberry preserves, but I am unsure of what I should use to ice the whole cake with. I don't want it to be CRAZY sweet since the fillings will be already but I want the icing to compliment the cake/fillings of course. Any ideas?

Thanks!

7 replies
amysue99 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 8

chocolate ganache would be yummy and not too sweet. It can be poured on while warm, spread on when cool, or whipped for the consistency of a buttercream icing. Lots of recipes on here in the recipes section.

jadedlogic Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you! My bf doesn't like the taste of ganache but I was thinking after I posted of maybe making a raspberry buttercream!

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

djs328 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 8

Whipped cream. (chocolate, or raspberry, or just plain vanilla!) It is MUCH less sweet than BC and would not compete with the rest of your flavors. icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 8

If she doesn't like the taste of ganache then how does she like the taste of fudge and chocolate? Ganache is just chocolate with cream. But I do understand not wanting overkill on the heavy chocolate icon_smile.gif - I think a raspberry BC would be delicious!

jadedlogic Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:50am
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone! I went with the raspberry buttercream and they love it.
He doesn't like the taste of the ganache with semi sweet chocolate.

Renaejrk Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 8

I make ganache with milk chocolate - very yummy!

pattycakesnj Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

I too make ganache with milk chocolate, delicious

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%