Lime Green Fondant...

Decorating By AmandaCMH Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm by AmandaCMH

AmandaCMH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaCMH Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 10

I have an upcoming Sweet 16 birthday cake to make... my client wants lime green fondant, and she stressed LIME GREEN. How do you all go about getting a true lime green?? I use the MMF recipe on here (fabulous!!) and typically dye my fondant when completely made, not while marshmellows are hot. Can anyone give me pointers here?? Pictures would be wonderful, too. Thanks so much!!! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 10

Use the Americolor Electric Green.You can add it when the MMF is hot or after.It will make a great Lime green..Add more if you want it darker.

AmandaCMH Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 10

thanks for your quick reply! icon_smile.gif Do you know where I can buy it or is it only available online? (I'll order it if I have to)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 10

You can buy Americolor almost anywhere cake supplies are..Online....

Globalsugarart
countrykitchensa
caljavaonline
cakeart

a few Ebay sellers like Sweetgrace

Tons of other store just can't remember...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 10

In a pinch...a regular grass green and then add a little bit of lemon yellow at a time until you get lime.

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 10

Has anyone tried using the McCormick neon colors? I saw them in the grocery store and they had lime green, neon pink, orange, blue, etc.. Not sure if the liquid dye affects the fondant or not, but I was thinking about trying them out.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 10

I wouldn't use liquid in fondant...it will not dye it very dark and it will make the fondant too soft.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 10

If you do have to use liquid you will need to use more powder sugar as you knead to keep it from getting sticky.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 10

I will dye the fondant yellow and then put drops of green. It works better when the marshmallows are melted. (I'm not a fan of buying special colors for one time cakes) Good luck

AmandaCMH Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone!! I typically use the Wilton Gel Based colors. But, Im not wanting to play scientist with the color of her cake, so I'll be purchasing the Americolor suggested! Thanks!!

Oh! To the poster asking about the McCormick Neon Colors... Ive used them on a last minute thing (my own personal cake, not for a client) for gumpaste flowers and it IS NOT Neon like advertised. Just a heads-up, maybe you can get a better result then I did. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%