Help - Can't Get The Buttercream Smooth!

Decorating By leonawfu98 Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 6:45am by leonawfu98

leonawfu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leonawfu98 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:56am
post #1 of 4

This recipe has always worked before, but the last few times I've used it, I'm having trouble getting it to smooth.

It almost looks as if it has cracks - perhaps dry - but invariably, it starts to stick to the Viva towel within a few passes (I'm using a fondant smoother).

I'd say perhaps I hadn't let it crust enough, but I've left it for about 4 hours.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, and this is really discouraging. Any pointers or advice?

Thanks!!

3 replies
gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:14am
post #2 of 4

Sometimes, when this happens, it is the fat to dry ratio in your recipe, meaning it is possible you might have too much butter and crisco and not enough powdered sugar to offset the fat. I'm not sure what recipe you're using but that's just been a problem I've had in the past. Hope this helps and good luck.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 4

4 hours is way too long to wait. a good crusting buttercream will be ready to viva in less than 5 minutes in most cases.

it is cracking because it is either too crusted/dry or needs more fat in the recipe.

HTH!

leonawfu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leonawfu98 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 6:45am
post #4 of 4

Just came back to check if there were any other responses after I finished the cake - am feeling a little bit better that I came to the same conclusion that Sharon presented icon_smile.gif Good thing, since I'm using her bc recipe, hehe.

Redid the icing, and had a MUCH better result when I only waited 5-7 minutes to smooth.

I still have lots to learn, but I love that this forum is here for novices like me!

THANKS!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%